GSR "Bredins" 1333 and 1335 at Whitehead

Rate this topic

The RPSI managed, very creditably, to get four of these from traffic with CIE in the mid 70s, when they were among the last in use.

Thanks to scumbags, vandals and the associated dregs of society and walking filth who delight in wrecking things, three were destroyed by fire. (If I describe such people in detail I will be forever banned by the mods!)...

One remains with the heritage set in Dublin. Among all the RPSI's carriages, it is one of the most historic, and would have worked with "Maedb".

Whitehead annual Open Day, I think 1978. The carriages are painted maroon, and having been stored outside are weathered genuinely to what they might have been when awaiting repaint in GSR days. The lining is authentic for GSR, as far as it goes, but there should also be a single thin yellow line just above window level, and another just below the cantrail, as well as GSR numerals and crests.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The suburban one - last survivor and now burnt...1333. When initially built, they had no gangways as they were intended for DSER suburban services.

image.jpg

Incidentally, the last time I travelled in a "Bredin" was in summer 1976, on a train pack to the doors with teenagers going to the Kerry Gaeltacht.....! I don't remember seeing any in traffic after that, though there were possibly two still useable at Heuston...

so true about the dirtbags that have nothing else to do but destroy

everything out of pure badness!!! those coaches were historic:mad:

Arson goes on everywhere, but for a while it did feel as though setting things on fire was something that went on in the North, especially the fixation with bonfires.

RPSI also lost a GNRI K15 or two to the arsonists.

Yes, I remember getting a phone call from the late Sullivan Boomer - he was chairman and I was treasurer - made me sick to hear it. Six carriages (not all restored, but all very historic) reduced to ashes.

If I was to print here what I would have liked to do to the perpetrators.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, in todays Whitehead there would be no room for them

Need usually provides opportunity. I'm pretty sure that space would be found somewhere for a historic preservation. People only preserve what they love or respect and the resourceful enthusiast or benefactor seem turns up when one's back is to the wall ………………………

which is where the arsonists' backs should be, in fact :shooting:

it did feel as though setting things on fire was something that went on in the North, especially the fixation with bonfires

Do the children still get a three week sabbatical from school to collect all those pallets on which to place the tricolor? I suppose education would be a subordinate need for these savants

Edited by DiveController

Do the children still get a three week sabbatical from school to collect all those pallets on which to place the tricolor? I suppose education would be a subordinate need for these savants

What did the Ivory Coast ever do to them, anyway?

attachment.php?attachmentid=231637&d=1373586338