80 class photos

Rate this topic

Probably the nicest livery these ugly ducklings ever carried. Lisburn.

That front end design theme has certain similarities to the DVT on the De Dietrich set. Must have been the same design engineer. "Belt of a shovel" comes to mind! :) NIR were not famed for the beauty of their stock nor elegance of some of their liveries. The Hunslet must win the prize for the ugliest diesel loco ever to run on these islands.

Funny how we all see things!

The original NIR livery looked attractive when brand new, but like the UTA one, being dark, it got to look very drab very quickly. This livery was brighter, though the red and cream "suburban" looked garish, like so many modern liveries.

In terms of design, I have to say I thought the Hunslets looked fine! But in the all-time-ugly stakes, I'd place centre stage the 70, 80 and 450 class railcars, as opposed to their liveries... And as for the ghastly IE 29000s.... but others think all of the above look great!

I have to say - I've "got used to" the outward appearance of the 2600, 2700 and 2800 class... the current silver and dark green suits them too. The older lime and navy livery, liked by some, was always considered odious by me.....no matter what it was on. I'm no fan either of any livery the 201s have ever had, nor the locos themselves!

And, though it might beggar belief, there are those amongst our community who would not give a wheezing, rusty, work-stained J15 0.6.0 a second glance, even at the head of a cattle special.....

They could be quite lively in the cab all right! I had a spin in the cab of one between Belfast and Dundalk one time, and going up over the Bessbrook viaduct was memorable. Even one cab run on the Larne line was similar...

Modellers will note that above, 68 has no cabside logo, whereas 94 has...

Was there a reason why? And why were the 80 class also the '67 class'?

No such beast as the 67 Class Kevin. They were members of the 80 Class, but the 80 Class ran out of numbers once they hit 99, due to the 101 class being next. They then used existing vacant numbers by being squeezed in between the MPD numbers and the 70 Class, namely 67, 68 & 69.

No such beast as the 67 Class Kevin. They were members of the 80 Class, but the 80 Class ran out of numbers once they hit 99, due to the 101 class being next. They then used existing vacant numbers by being squeezed in between the MPD numbers and the 70 Class, namely 67, 68 & 69.

Sorry for the cryptic question, David. I just didn't know why three of them were completely out of sequence