072 on Ballina-Waterford DFDS liner west of Athlone

Rate this topic

What do you mean it ceased? There are no more DFDS liners?

Nope, Ballina to Waterford is now finished for good it's been confirmed. It's a pity because the liner ran almost directly behind my house and I'm so used to seeing it. Timber is pretty safe though, it's the healthiest freight flow in Ireland that I know of. Great videos as well by the way, all in great quality and showcasing the power of the 072 hauling capacity :tumbsup:

Nope, Ballina to Waterford is now finished for good it's been confirmed. It's a pity because the liner ran almost directly behind my house and I'm so used to seeing it. Timber is pretty safe though, it's the healthiest freight flow in Ireland that I know of. Great videos as well by the way, all in great quality and showcasing the power of the 072 hauling capacity :tumbsup:

I just noticed your location, Kilkenny. Would you be old enough to remember when they mined the dolomite ore in Bennettsbridge for the magnesite factory in Ballinacourty?

Last DFDS liner ran on Tuesday 10th July, but ttc0169 might be able to confirm this date, btw never say never, it may return in the future if business conditions change.

Regards

h.gricer

Correct h gricer-your welcome to the site,great to have you here,

072 worked the last Ballina-Waterford DFDS liner on Friday 06/17/12,

079 worked the last Waterford-Ballina DFDS liner on Tuesday 10/07/12-the liner wagons are now being used for the extra IWT liner on Wednesday and Thursday.

079 worked the last Waterford-Ballina DFDS liner on Tuesday 10/07/12-the liner wagons are now being used for the extra IWT liner on Wednesday and Thursday.

Is there any set time or schedule now for the dfds liners heading for Waterford? I'd just like to get some footage of them before they do eventually cease operation. Thanks, looks like all is not lost regarding dfds flow in Ireland.

I just noticed your location, Kilkenny. Would you be old enough to remember when they mined the dolomite ore in Bennettsbridge for the magnesite factory in Ballinacourty?

Unfortunately not but my father does alright, his brother worked in the quarry. It's sad when you think of how busy freight flow used to be around Ireland compared to now though.

Unfortunately not but my father does alright, his brother worked in the quarry. It's sad when you think of how busy freight flow used to be around Ireland compared to now though.

It is! :(

But, I have fond memories of the trains that hauled the dolomite, as I used to holiday in a house along the Ballinacourty branch line all those years ago. Hard to believe that it's 30 years this year since that traffic stopped!

None at the moment. The timbers operate to Waterford Sallypark yard and the timber is craned onto trucks to be hauled to the Coillte panel products plant.

Awful. It's the best port in Ireland for railway access isn't it? I take it the railway lines will stay well maintained?

It is indeed, the rail line serves the ship-to-shore cranes which isn't done in Dublin Port or any other port for that matter.

Videos from the port co at:

You should be right about the timber trains as the Coillte plant is in the port industrial estate but the cost of a rail spur has never been justified sufficiently for anyone to cough up...

I don't suppose you know the timings for these additional liners? Particularly around Kildare?

I think the wednesday working is Ballina-NW and then Thursday is NW-Ballina.. Same pattern as when the DFDS ran with the wagons stabling in Ballina during the week..

Correct MOGUL,that is the pattern-

The ex Ballina liner on Wednesday is due in Northwall between 15:30-16:00,so you might have to make an excuse and leave work earlier to see it.