MM 141 staff/tablet catchers

Rate this topic

controller

Hi all, I have two MM 141 locos ( C I E black preserved). Both are numbered 141. Some day I will get around to re-numbering one of them. The picture on both boxes is of a loco with staff/tablet catchers attached. However neither of the locos inside have these. Is it possible to buy these catchers, or would I be doing wrong, fitting these to this particular  model.

Thanks,

Controller.

1 hour ago, controller said:

Hi all, I have two MM 141 locos ( C I E black preserved). Both are numbered 141. Some day I will get around to re-numbering one of them. The picture on both boxes is of a loco with staff/tablet catchers attached. However neither of the locos inside have these. Is it possible to buy these catchers, or would I be doing wrong, fitting these to this particular  model.

Thanks,

Controller.

MM0141A is the preserved RPSI B141, of which you appear to have two. The preserved B141 does not have tablet catchers. MM0141, the original Black’n’tan livery B141 did have tablet catchers. I don’t know of any source for tablet catchers on their own. Suggest PM @WRENNEIRE of this parish who may be able to swap one of your MM0141A for an MM0141 or source spare parts. 

On 10/2/2018 at 3:42 PM, controller said:

Were the catchers still in use when they added the larger marker lights?. I think the catchers add to the look of the loco. I would not add them if they should not be there.

I don't think that the new larger LED marker lights were added until some time in the 90s. The tablet catchers for automated retrieval of the token were out of use decades before but the catchers remained on the locos for a considerable number of years thereafter. If you want to model that CIE era I'd swap the locos. ,There were only three small marker lights originally replaced by four larger LEDS with an additional red in the IE era and preservation thereafter

Edited by DiveController

Thanks DiveController, I do like the look of the black 141 with the small marker lights and token catchers attached. If there were any of these available I would be prepared to swap these two, they are still in very good condition. If not, I would be happy just to add token catchers, if these were available. I have been told that WRENNEIRE may be able to help. I will contact him tomorrow. 

Thanks,

Controller.

Just to add, MM produced four early black and tan 141/181's with small marker lights and tablet catchers, all with different running numbers, so it would be possible for you to get two early black and tan locos with different running numbers.... They were B141, B165, B181 and B188

Edited by aclass007

• 2 weeks later...

The instruction sheet that comes with the Murphy Models locos, lists all the spares you can order, which includes the staff/tablet catcher. Well I thought I'd be clever and order some of these a while back through Marks Models, which I did, as I wanted to add them to an A class. Alas when the spares packs arrived (I ordered a few of them), the only thing missing was the staff/tablet catcher. Seems it is not included as a spare! So no point going down that road.

Is it possible to make moulds of the ones on the 141's/181's and make them that way? - someone on the forum would know I'm sure.

Hi fishplate7

Yes I've done that- if you check out here on how to do it;-

The staff catcher is a tricky one, I use the 'flop' type mould- lay the two halves out, fill each with the chemical plastic and flop them together trying not to trap air in there. The catcher is fine detailed and very delicate when made with the chem plastic, quite hard to clean up after moulding but when stuck on the model its grand....

Eoin