Off to Bantry

Rate this topic

Kinvara-Train

• 2 weeks later...

And a very good show it was.I took a selection of models and had a couple of locos just shuffling about on a photo plank ,with a folder of info and photos plus Erine Shepards book. bantree sent his Bantry station models to display and there was a lot of  interest. I think a lot of people thought why Ireland and why Bantry but my reply is why not? I now understand why shows in Ireland do not generally pay expenses, 900 miles by the time I got home. Bantry goes to Bantry would be a wonderful thing to do when the layout is showable  but the cost?hmmm!

For me one of the most watchable displays was a R/C forage harvester which picked up loose static grass and blew it into a trailer pulled by a R/C tractor. Brilliant

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 6:21 AM, Mike 84C said:

And a very good show it was.I took a selection of models and had a couple of locos just shuffling about on a photo plank ,with a folder of info and photos plus Erine Shepards book. bantree sent his Bantry station models to display and there was a lot of  interest. I think a lot of people thought why Ireland and why Bantry but my reply is why not? I now understand why shows in Ireland do not generally pay expenses, 900 miles by the time I got home. Bantry goes to Bantry would be a wonderful thing to do when the layout is showable  but the cost?hmmm!

Good work! 

The Chester Club set the challenge exhibiting Dingle in Dingle so to speak, and you have beaten them by a fair margin on the mileage front😄. Might even re-awaken some interest in modelling the West Cork in West Cork.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys and I really think it was worth taking a small selection of our Bantry models  to Bantry and a return trip with an operating layout would be the icing on the cake. For me, the worst part of the journey  was Irish ferry's  land you in Dublin just in time for the 5pm rush hour so its gone 11pm by the time your west of Bandon. On the return  8.55 pm from Dublin is 0.55 into Holyhead drive to Lincolnshire home at 5.0 am, eyes like the p------ in the snow but kept sucking the barley sugars!  😫

In fairness my trip was to see old friends and the model show was a bonus. I  did get out and about  taking photos of remains of the West Cork, surprising what is still there. The first three are at Clonakilty , then the station building at Drimoleague, then Bantry across the harbour, the water tank , lattice bridge and crane are at Skibereen, whats left of Bantry shed, a narrow gauge van at Drimoleague and the water column at Dunmanway.  Sorry that the photos are not always clear as at Dunmanway but cutting down the local vets bamboo for the photo was just not on! His offices are the old station building, getting a good shot was not possible. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Mick 

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6374.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

IMG_6402.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6401.JPG

IMG_6403.JPG

IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_6406.JPG

IMG_6407.JPG

• Like 1

I did the 'daytime ferry' once, as a test, it seemed like a good idea - never again - the overnight one is much more civilised - dumps you into Dublin at 6am and you're going out before many are even trying to get in. Although, the trek to Bantry in one go may be a bit much then. Traffic to Holyhead on the Big Island is also much pleasanter for the 02:40 boat, as well. I had three separate exploded caravans on the way when I sampled the day boat.

I use the 08:05 to return - an early start, but four hours kip on the boat before being dropped into Wales at midday.

You do now have the option of the 'intermediate ferry' on most days, operating about half-way between the main boats.

If you are going to do the Big One, then liaise and we might be able to organise something. I'm over there four or five times a year these days..

Hi Irishrail, the van is sort of set in concrete around the frame area and without wishing to get down and dirty! I thought there was dry rot in the parts of the frame I could see but there is every chance that the timbers are there. The door on the inside has been sawn off on the upper side to make it fit the building the van is part of. I wondered if it is a S&S van and it would be a shame if it just disappeared after survivig  this long.  

• Informative 1