Bawnboy Road

Rate this topic

Phil3150

12 minutes ago, KMCE said:

Funny that - I've been using Vallejo Panzer Dark Grey for locos recently - comes up a nice dark grey with a blueish tint as if rubbed with oily rags.

Add a bit (a lot) of weathering & you start getting to that level of filth @jhb171achillis rather fond of  😉

I'm a filthy little boy, Ken. Naughty me!

51 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Panzer grey. Funnily enough, this is a subject WW2 modellers also debate.....

A7352AA0-C9BA-4505-9879-85E7B2070510.jpeg

Old B & W pics of GNR blue locos show what appears in one to be almost black, and in others light grey! Grey and blue seem especially prone to this.

On the basis that the German tank above is shown pretty much accurately, it's a bit on the dark side. However, when a grey loco was weathered, it could end up looking almost that colour - and the reason? They "cleaned" them with filthy oily rags!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes - look at the buffer beam, which was RED!

If anything, some CIE locos got into even WORSE state than BR - and that is saying something.....

Yes, I believe that the CIE engines were actually worse!  The story goes that Robin (BOB) Clements footplated a 2-6-4 Tank on the Spoil Trains and when the crew commented on how rundown the engine was, he remarked later - "these fellows don't know what a bad engine is!"

Bob, you see, spent days and days on the footplates of MGWR locos , fighting to make them steam and driving them easily so that they could see ahead through the steam leaks.

Another version was that when the CIE crews first drove No.4 they were amazed to open the regulator and still be able to see in front of them .......

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, David Holman said:

Ex works locos are one thing, but careful weathering like this brings them alive for me. 

A lily is gilded...

Indeed, me too; steam engines were NEVER pristine in traffic, and the above job looks 100% realistic!

9 hours ago, Phil3150 said:

12L is now looking a little more work worn. Still some finishing touches to come and a little more grime but we're getting there!

Phil

20201007_144330.jpg

20201007_144246.jpg

Absolutely brilliant job! Lovely engine - I'd love to have had a spin behind one..... fastest narrow gauge engines in Ireland, and they look it!

• Like 2

She is certainly looking the part a working loco that's still reasonably well maintained. There are a number of colour photos of 10l on pages 110 & 111 in Irish Railways in Colour a Second Glance there is a striking deterioration in her appearance between in July 1957 photos of her at Ballyconnell and Belturbet and later photos of her at Bawnboy Road and Ballinamore with the paint burnt off her smoke box door and funnel.

DSCF5948.thumb.JPG.91e34555082449e688fda3d729b51ffe.JPG

8L hasn't got a lot worse since I weathered her 20 odd years ago. I tried to capture the same effect with 3T but could not quiet match the rust effect on the chimney and smokebox!

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mayner said:

She is certainly looking the part a working loco that's still reasonably well maintained. There are a number of colour photos of 12L bit captioned as 10L on pages 110 & 111 in Irish Railways in Colour a Second Glance there is a striking deterioration in her appearance between in July 1957 photos of her at Ballyconnell and Belturbet and later photos of her at Bawnboy Road and Ballinamore with the paint burnt off her smoke box door and funnel.

DSCF5948.thumb.JPG.91e34555082449e688fda3d729b51ffe.JPG

8L hasn't got a lot worse since I weathered her 20 odd years ago. I tried to capture the same effect with 3T but could not quiet match the rust effect on the chimney and smokebox!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much finished now. I still have the cab interior to build - any clues as to what was in there anyone? We got a few little things wrong but I'm very pleased with the result. Many thanks to my good friend Brian Page for all his help. Now to get on with the rest of the layout!

Phil

P1080611.JPG

P1080612.JPG

Edited by Phil3150
  • Like 10
  • WOW! 2

LocoControls.jpg

This is the back head of a right handed drive loco

article-0-0228000F000005DC-546_468x312.j

There are a load more photos on line just look for backhead details of a steam locomotive, I am not sure which side of the loco the CB&P locos where driven from, but you get the idea of what could be in there.

regards

Colin Rainsbury

That looks like the 4-4-0T in Cultra. Currently rereading Boyd's Saga by Rail and on the C&L chapters. Lovely stuff - as is No12. Got to be really pleased with it! Just needs a long mixed train now and a trip to New Zealand for a run on Mayner's layout, though fairly sure the CB&P locos weren't allowed on the tramway.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2020 at 9:48 PM, Phil3150 said:

Pretty much finished now. I still have the cab interior to build - any clues as to what was in there anyone? We got a few little things wrong but I'm very pleased with the result. Many thanks to my good friend Brian Page for all his help. Now to get on with the rest of the layout!

Phil

P1080611.JPG

P1080612.JPG

That would be a credit to anyone - suberb build. The subtle rust looks very real too.

The design is such that little would be visible in the cab anyway, though I’ve no doubt you’d do a TOP class job on that too!

• 10 months later...

It must be time for an update on my progress so here goes:

I been busy building some goods stock.

image.jpeg.7350489219aa4ff90a1174dfeffcc330.jpeg

This is an assortment of open wagons - a Foxrock ex-CB&P built as intended, a 4-door open 3D printed from my drawings on a Backwoods chassis with new etched parts for the brake gear, and a Foxrock original C&L open again built a Simon intended. I now have two nine wagon rakes for two coal specials and a number of spares for other duties.

image.jpeg.2a362cca97785154b6c108d57239e4ba.jpeg

The wagon works in full swing.

image.jpeg.79ede621e74453011ef644d3e9c1e2ad.jpeg

Satisfied with the wagons have I moved onto van production. The advantage of 3D printing these is that the endless variations of body types can be easily produced from a basic drawing. These will run on Backwoods chassis. I do have a stock of Foxrock chassis but, like Mayner, I do find these time consuming to build but I reserve the right to substitute them at a later date as they are more detailed! I plan a fleet of around a dozen covered vans.

Meanwhile 'my design team' have been beavering away preparing drawings for the etches for two of the original 4-4-0's and the ex-T&D Kerr Stuart 2-6-0. The chassis etches are due for delivery any day and the excitement is building.

Finally I will be attending the mini-Scaleforum event being put on by the North Norfolk Area Group near Melton Constable on Saturday (25 September), operating on Geraint Hughes' Danish Obbekær layout so if anyone is in the area, please drop by for an Irish narrow gauge chat - https://www.scaleforum.org/

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil3150
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 2

Excellent work!

I tried to persuade Pete Parlin to produce a batch of Backwoods miniatures C&L wagon chassis etches to go with my resin cast wagon bodies without success.

The thought of 4T etches and 3D printed C&L wagon bodies is very tempting, but its probably time to move up to a larger scale especially if the Accuracraft Live Steam Kathleen I ordered in 2019 ever materialises. 

https://www.accucraft.uk.com/products/kathleen-lady-edith-cavan-leitrim-4-4-0t/

I don't really have room for additional stock on my current Irish 3' layout and assembling small scale chassis is becoming a struggle with my clunky fingers, shaky hands and failing eyesight.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

Terrific work, Phil. The KS 2-6-0 is a lovely loco - look forward to learning more.

Kathleen’s exciting all right - especially as it’s meant to be the start of a range ! Imagine - an NCC 2-4-2T or a C & M ‘Blarney’……Neil Ramsay has produced stuff in 45mm gauge - see below - but mass production makes it more available for us lesser mortals…..

78D185A3-56F1-4138-96C0-B2E2B72EF0A2.jpeg

C1C699BF-D015-448A-ABD9-E58634E1DAEE.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

I think Neil Ramsey's C&L 4-4-0 is an old Archangel model.

John Campbell batch built several  classes of live steam  Irish Narrow Gauge Locos some of which appear on Neil Ramsey's railway. I had set my heart on a John Campbell T&D 2-6-0T, but he was not prepared to export outside of the UK or Europe.

• Like 3

No sooner said than done!

image.jpeg.d6d10e285ec1c51b6737343d3820cb83.jpeg

Today the chassis etches dropped through the letterbox. This is the complete set for the Kerr Stuart 2-6-0.

image.jpeg.30c50d47ae065e53f102b4d960cddc86.jpeg

And this is how I know it will work - the 2D etches built up into a 3D drawing.

image.jpeg.364973cc3c588bd02454617ed5b29a1f.jpeg

A pair of 4-4-0 chassis as well. I'm going to be very busy.

Phil

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Goodness, is it really 18 months since I got those etches. Well, 4T is getting close to the paint shop with just a few more bits to attach - bells and whistles? Once this, and the two 4-4-0's, are finished I really must concentrate on building a layout for them to run on.

IMG_20230531_171118.thumb.jpg.d918e59ae9bdac8f281d0c598a6537bc.jpg

• Like 13

On 22/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, Phil3150 said:

Those chassis are now available again from Neville Kent at N-Drive Productions.

He's kept that quiet, then, as his website doesn't mention that. We're still a good few years from seeing the rest of the Backwoods Irish range coming back into production.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phil3150 said:

Goodness, is it really 18 months since I got those etches. Well, 4T is getting close to the paint shop with just a few more bits to attach - bells and whistles? Once this, and the two 4-4-0's, are finished I really must concentrate on building a layout for them to run on.

IMG_20230531_171118.thumb.jpg.d918e59ae9bdac8f281d0c598a6537bc.jpg

Lovely - best looking of the T and D tanks I think. Poor brakes meant that she was unloved in Tralee but went down well in the less steep C and L. Beautiful work.

Hi Guys i think we may be going into the black hole of OOn3 modelling, I do know of a 3D print of 4T by Tom Bell, but again I am not sure what is happening with that. As for a chassis etch I was not aware of one.

So I was wondering if the loco etch and the chassis etch are something that Phil has got done himself, I am not suggesting for one moment that he turns it into a commerical exercise, but that said if you can get say 10 others to buy them from you, you can often get a set done for yourself for free.

I can think of four people not on this list that might be interested.        

4 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi Guys i think we may be going into the black hole of OOn3 modelling, I do know of a 3D print of 4T by Tom Bell, but again I am not sure what is happening with that. As for a chassis etch I was not aware of one.

So I was wondering if the loco etch and the chassis etch are something that Phil has got done himself, I am not suggesting for one moment that he turns it into a commerical exercise, but that said if you can get say 10 others to buy them from you, you can often get a set done for yourself for free.

I can think of four people not on this list that might be interested.        

Colin, 4T is a joint project with a friend to produce an engine for my own layout. Neither of us has any wish to go ‘commercial’. The chassis is continuously sprung and with a bespoke gearbox. Virtually every bought-in component has been altered in some way. Preparing instructions doesn’t bear thinking about!! Maybe at some future time we could make the drawings available but I wouldn’t want to be building it blind from a kit of parts.

6 hours ago, Horsetan said:

He's kept that quiet, then, as his website doesn't mention that. We're still a good few years from seeing the rest of the Backwoods Irish range coming back into production.

Back then I was referring to the C&L wagon chassis. They are definitely available as I bought some from Nev a while back along with a passenger brake van kit.

Worsley works do a 4-8-4T in 4mm but could blow it up to 7mm if you wish

The big problem we now face is that with 3D printing many of the locos we would have build from brass are becoming available as a 3D print, so far no one has given a lifetime of these prints, but some people have said that after about five years or so the prints start to bend and lose their shape, so may be this is not the way forward.

It a bit like trying to force everyone over to electric cars, what an environmental disaster waiting to happen that it.

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1