Sources of continental models

Rate this topic

Hi All

Quick question to the European modellers on the forum. Where are you buying your European outline models? I'm looking for a couple of short european shunter locomotives for an industrial layout. Any good European or UK based websites?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Geof Poulter of Contikits.

Trading for nearly 40 years, the web site only has a fraction of what he has. Lots of ready to run , new and secondhand.

http://www.contikits.com/

ERnie

P>S> looks like he has his stand at York Model Railway Show this (Easter) weekend. If anyone is going say hello to Geof and Allison from me (They might then give you a special discount but on reflection will more likely add something on!)

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Informative 1

• 5 years later...
On 16/4/2019 at 11:15 AM, Galteemore said:

eBay can also be good if one is careful and shops around....

Agreed.

All of my ex-DB and DR stock has been derived from eBay. Much much cheaper than going to a shop or looking at a dealer's website.

In one case, I acquired a Roco model of the DR's famous test engine 18.201 from a seller in Australia, and even with postage added on, it still worked out cheaper than buying here.

Likewise, three Weinert DB loco kits from Australia, two of which now retail at 800+ Euros each, and the third at over 1100 Euros. I had them for an average of £150 each plus post. I recovered some money from selling one kit (which was a duplicate) for £250 to a German buyer who couldn't believe his luck at getting a bargain.

The latest bargain to arrive here is a Bachmann-Liliput model of the ex-Baden compound Pacific, 18.316. Cost £79 from eBay, still brand-new.

IMG_20240804_155749.jpg

IMG_20240804_155819.jpg

IMG_20240804_155837.jpg

• Like 4

Snap, Ivan - I got MY model of 18.201 on eBay as well. She was a must as I've done 100mph with her!

My latest relative bargain on eBay was the Bavarian S3/6 Pacific from Hamo. I travelled behind her in June and was so delighted I just HAD to have a model of 3673 - she's behind me in the display cabinet - tender to tender with 18.201!

eBay is always worth a look if you have a "want".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Snap, Ivan - I got MY model of 18.201 on eBay as well. She was a must as I've done 100mph with her!

The Australian 18.201 set me back about £135 at the time, which was a third to a half cheaper than UK or European retail.

Your mention of the Bavarian S3/6 (another compound) reminds me that I obtained a complete Fleischmann chassis some years ago (it even has working inside cranks and rods), and later an ancient M+F S3/6 tender kit, the plan being to motorise the Revell plastic kit for the preserved 18.505.

On the other hand, there are some items that always go for over the odds, and the old M+F German loco kits are usually good examples of this - snap them up if you can!