First 22000 set fully refreshed

Rate this topic

The first fully refreshed 22000 set was completed on Thursday 25th April 2019 at Connolly Valeting Plant with the set entering traffic on Friday 26th April 2019.

While sets 22003 - 22010 and 22050 have gone through the refresh program since last October, they didn't receive the new leather seat covers. The first set to receive these is 22046 and this marks the first set to be fully completed in the project. The sets completed earlier in the program will be retrofitted with the new seat covers at a later date.

The scope of work on refreshing the sets after 11 years of intensive use includes:
• The lower panels underneath the windows have been replaced with lamigraf material.
• The armrests have been changed to match the new leather seat covers.
• The seat grabhandles have been repainted grey.
• Fitting of USB Sockets on the train with two sockets for each pair of seats. 
• Fitting of new leather seat covers throughout the train.
• Fitting of blue colour doors to the A3 vehicle with bicycle and wheelchair symbols. 

Click

DSC_1602-M.jpg

Edited by thewanderer
  • Like 6

I'd love to see the mk4 CAF coaching sets get a refurb. They took the curtains off a few years ago which is a PITA working on a laptop. I fear the comfy mk4 sets on the Cork route being replaced by 22k DMUs.

Edited by Noel

Must say the new interior looks to me to a bit of a hotch potch, given the closely co-ordinated look of the interior of coaches today. The upholstery, tables, wall sides and carpets don't even begin to co-ordinate; compare this with the refurbed "Enterprise"....!

Still, if they add some system to stop the toilets smelling, and circulate fresh air, and keep the temperature below 30 degrees inside, it'll be a big improvement! I have to say that apart from the above, they're not the worst things to travel in.

If I must choose any modern railcar, I'd go for the NIR 4000s. They (plus the ICRs) are quiet. The old ones, especially the tractor-engine MED cars, were absolutely atrocious. You'd need a gas mask to avoid the diesel fumes, and earphones to stop you going deaf in those oul things in the 1960s! "Hellfire" and "Thrash"....no, thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 2:57 PM, Noel said:

I'd love to see the mk4 CAF coaching sets get a refurb. They took the curtains off a few years ago which is a PITA working on a laptop. I fear the comfy mk4 sets on the Cork route being replaced by 22k DMUs.

Noel, while 22000's will continue to work selected Cork services the bulk of services will be operated by MKIV's. For reference the following services are booked for 22000's, all others are MKIV operated.

Weekdays:

Ex Heuston: 1000, 1200 S.X., 1400 F.X. 1900 F.O. 2100 F.X. 

Ex Cork: 0550, 0615 S.X., 1325, 1525 S.X., 1725 F.X. 

Sunday:

Ex Heuston: 1800, 2100.

Ex Cork: 1425

All of the above are worked by 5ICR sets (with 1st class / buffet) except the 1900 FO (3+4ICR) 2100 FSX (3+4ICR)  0550 (4ICR) 0615 (3ICR) plus 1800 (3+4ICR) and 2100 (4ICR) on Sundays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hurricanemk1c said:

It's a nice job (travelled down on the set on the 1805 on Portlaoise). I personally like the contrast, finding the DD interiors very dark

Each to our own, Hurricane!    :-)

As long as there are kit kats on the catering trolley...............................................

At €4.50 it has become a luxury to have tea and a Kitkat on the train, mind, it's still a lot cheaper than afternoon tea in the Shelbourne. I really like the 22Ks, they're very comfortable and noise intrusion into the cabin isn't anything like that of 29Ks, however, as the rail service operates at a snails pace on the Sligo line I use the bus which is faster - something I just don't understand.