Irish Layouts at Bala Exhibition in Wales

Rate this topic

I attended the recent Bala MR Exhibition in Wales with my "Cynwyd" layout but noted a number of static exhibits there of Irish interest:

First, three shots of a model of the Listowel & Ballybunion "Laritigue" monorail system:

1738012142_LandBMonorail1.thumb.JPG.2e834f4a4d7b3decb3e99cad8ac1fa52.JPG45895352_LandBMonorail2.thumb.JPG.52b7494ee64869803741fe7358b50607.JPG1631018976_LandBMonorail.thumb.JPG.56c635368ab29da3bda93f6a6f4265de.JPGSnN

Secondly, an exhibit entitled "Shannon Tramway":

1869106358_ShannonTramway.thumb.JPG.79cc0e2e1d49797dca066962ffd7a567.JPG

Edited by Irishrailwayman
  • Like 7

The standard of modelling on the Irish  two dioramas appears to be really high.

Apart from the Bala Lake Railway a drive along the A4142 from Bala to Trawsfynydd (or as the locals say Traws) is well worth it in itself. The road follows the mountain section of the BR/WR  Bala-Festiniog branch line through some of the remotest country in Wales  https://www.revolvy.com/page/Cwm-Prysor-Viaduct

Spent much of my mis-spent 30s in North Wales used to stop for a quick pint in Bala on a Friday night or rign through a last drinks order if we were unlikely to reach Portmadoc by closing time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mayner said:

Apart from the Bala Lake Railway a drive along the A4142 from Bala to Trawsfynydd (or as the locals say Traws) is well worth it in itself. The road follows the mountain section of the BR/WR  Bala-Festiniog branch line through some of the remotest country in Wales  https://www.revolvy.com/page/Cwm-Prysor-Viaduct.

I was walking along that road a few years ago and a few miles north of Bala I noticed this with fresh lillies on it and some very protective-looking workmen repairing the road nearby.

1600 Irishmen were interned here after the Easter Rising, Dublin, 1916

20120914_074924.thumb.jpg.4cf34ce0f7e9c675a44153df2a0ee066.jpg

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

That’ll be Frongoch Camp — short history here....https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-35876886

Worth a visit. The memory of the camp lingers in the area with a memorial and Irish flag flying at the location. A local farmer welcomes visitors to his place where he has a shed full of memorabilia of the camp.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

The standard of modelling on the Irish  two dioramas appears to be really high.

Apart from the Bala Lake Railway a drive along the A4142 from Bala to Trawsfynydd (or as the locals say Traws) is well worth it in itself. The road follows the mountain section of the BR/WR  Bala-Festiniog branch line through some of the remotest country in Wales  https://www.revolvy.com/page/Cwm-Prysor-Viaduct

Spent much of my mis-spent 30s in North Wales used to stop for a quick pint in Bala on a Friday night or rign through a last drinks order if we were unlikely to reach Portmadoc by closing time.

I met the author Martin Williams at the Bala MR Exhibition - he published a fine book on the Llangollen (Ruabon to Barmouth) line and has a new book out on the Bala-Ffestiniog branch which is selling out fast and well worth a read.

Martin's Book (1).jpg

5 hours ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Worth a visit. The memory of the camp lingers in the area with a memorial and Irish flag flying at the location. A local farmer welcomes visitors to his place where he has a shed full of memorabilia of the camp.

Yes, I spent a few quid in the village shop as I continued on, just because. That whole area was basically shat upon with flooded villages and the like, look hard enough and you can still spot the FWA graffiti.

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I'd like a copy of that, but according to the publisher's website, it's sold out. 

Great book. Every station on the line is covered with extensive photos and a drawing of the layout of the points and tracks. I used it as an essential reference when developing models of Llangollen, Cynwyd and Llanuwchllyn stations.

• Like 2