Sign in to follow this  
StevieB

Roy Jackson

Rate this topic

Some of you may know this already but Roy Jackson died recently. He was a phenomenal EM gauge modeller,  best known for layouts such as High Dyke, Dunwich and, more recently, Retford. There’s more about him on RMweb.

Stephen

I had the pleasure of visiting his Retford on a trip to England many moons ago - he was only too pleased to welcome my colleagues and myself to the amazing building where the layout was located, no hesitation letting four dodgy-looking Irish musicians in!!  He was very funny and very welcoming and the layout was awesome - he showed me the spot on the layout where he did some serious trainspotting years before.  RIP.

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1

A Model Railways article on Roy Jackson's  High Dyke layout inspired me of the level of realism and standard of running that could be achieved using EM standards,  I later saw Dunwich and Blakeney on the UK exhibition circuit which probably lead to a not so brief flirtation in with building/assembling several large BR steam locos from kits in OO & EM. 

Retford, High Dyke and Stoke Summit really captured the atmosphere of the East Coast Main Line and the East Midlands

• Like 3