Model Railways Magazine Irish Miscellany

Rate this question

Angus

Question

I've come across a series of articles than ran in the Model Railways Magazine from around 1975 to 1977 under the title of "Irish Miscellany".

I've bought one back number (October 1976) that has nice side, front and back elevation drawings of an MGWR  E Class (GSR J26) .

I've also ordered another couple of back numbers where the description inferred drawings of an Achill Bogie (GSR D16) and a MNWQ 6w compo carriage.

Most of the other articles have a none descriptive title, or no information at all.

Does anyone have a list of these articles or access to them, they look like a potentially great resource?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 answers to this question

Tried a Google search, but all it did was bring me back to your question Angus!

I'd certainly be interested in finding out more, especially anything on the Achill Bogies. Jonathan Beaumont's 'Rails to Achill' contains some info on these locos, including photos and a basic outline drawing. Maybe he will be able to help. A 7mm model of Wolf Dog is very much something I'd like to do for Belmullet.

• Like 2

Thanks both,

I read Jonathan Beaumont's Rails to Achill over Christmas along with a couple of MGWR books my wife bought me.

As a result the Achill bogies are creeping up my "to do list" also.

I think I'll gradually collect the Model Railways magazines and post up the list here.

Edited by Angus
  • Like 1

I have copies of most of the Irish Miscellany articles, the same author also published articles on modelling Irish Railways in the Model Railway Constructor, Railway Modeller in the early 70s and more recently in a British Railway Modelling Irish Special. Most of the drawings are 4mm scale and based on GSR diagrams, though I got caught out when I built a MGWR coach apparrently drawn in S scale!

The author Tim Cramer is from Cork and apparrently one of the driving forces behind the Alphagraphix range of 7mm Irish loco kits most of which ran in West Cork.. Model Railway Constructor Plans

Model Railway Constructor Plans page. Photos and drawings.

1. ------------CIE Class B4 4-6-0T-4mm

2.  -----------CIE (ex GSWR) 0-6-0T No 90 7mm

Model Railways irish Miscellany

1. At the sign of the flying snail-------CIE(ex GSWR) D19 Diagram 4mm feb? 76

2. CIE Ex-MGWR) Class D16 Diagram 4mm April 76

3. Waterfall Station photos & drawings June 76

4. GSR/CIE Standard open wagon.diagram.

5. Small but sturdy. CIE J26 (ex MGWR) 0-6-0T 7mm diagram and photos (on T&C tramway) Oct 76.

6.Make a break for IT! CIE ex 12T Brake Van 7mm diagram and photos (Cork) Jan 77

7. The Yanks at Inchacore CIE B141 Class 4mm diagram and photos Mar 1977.

8. CIE (GSR) Class B1a No 800 Maebdh 7mm diagram and photos Oct 77

9. Three for the Price of One. CIE (ex MGWR0 6w Luggage Brake with cupola 3/16"? diagram and photos ?78

10. CIE (ex-MGWR) 6-wheel Third and Lavatory 1st 4mm diagram Aug 78

11. CIE (T&C) 2-6-0T Argadeen diagram & photo

British Railway Modelling

Irish Railway Modelling supplement

1. CIE (ex-GSWR) D14 60 Class 4-4-0 Article on building 7mm loco including diagram and photos. 2010?

I seem to have mislaid my copies of the articles on the standard GSR open and Argadeen.

Send me a PM if you would like a copy of a particular article.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Thanks John,

That list is most useful,

I'll track down the copies of interest, I already have no 5 of the Irish Miscellany and nos 2 & 10 are winging their way to me as I type.

That just leaves no 9 to find which is the January 1978 edition.

Angus

12 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Tim Cramer is still banging out cracking Models. The last one I saw was a fab French loco in plasticard.

Its great to hear that Tim Cramer is still modelling in a way he popularised Irish Railway modelling through his drawings and articles in the British Model Railway Press publishing articles in the majority of the popular magazines.

He moved up to O gauge after building some really fine 21mm gauge locos including models of J30 0-6-0T No 90, a J26 0-6-0T (MGWR) a B4 4-6-0T Bandon Tank and some typical West Cork buildings, No 90 would have been particularly challenging as no suitable driving wheels were available at the time  and it would have been a struggle to fit a motor into the loco, there was a Railway Modeller article on his 21mm gauge work including photos of his locos and the conversion of a Triang Clearstory coach into a GSWR 45' bogie. He sold some of his 4mm stock including the Bandon Tank (in CIE lined green) and a station building through Southern Model Railways but it was beyond my reach at the time.

The Bandon tank ended up working on the MRSI Loughrea layout, the loco was beautifully constructed and finished more a work of model engineering than conventional model making.

He helped out indirectly in the design of the tender for my MGWR 2-4-0 with an isometric sketch of the interior of a MGWR tender most likely based on his own observations during the 1950s.

• Informative 1

April 1976 and August 1978 Model railways have arrived.

Apart from the Irish articles there is lots of good reading, I had forgotten how good Model Railways magazine was, albeit I didn't buy my first copy until the early eighties.

The D16 drawing is a side elevation of the loco and tender with a front view of the engine which the author admits to be being conjecture worked up from photographs.

I am glad to hear he is still around, he sounds a true gent.

The MGWR coaches are the same as, and actually better detailed in Mayner's posting of two broadstone drawings on this site.

But then I guess Mr Cramer didn't have access to the internet in 1976!

Mayner's posting here 

and here

Edited by Angus
the inability to type "from"