Dapol Western

Rate this topic

RedRich

I have been following the design and manufacture of this model since it was announced that Dapol would be producing it in 00. I always had a soft spot for the Westerns and they are a beautiful loco. Dapol laser scanned a prototype and measured it in the early stages of r&r. They also kept modellers informed all the way through design to production and asked for the advice and expert opinion of the members on the RMweb group that are knowledgeable know every inch of the prototype. Cad designs and early pre production shots of the model were amended and corrected on the advice of the members and the first shots of the model have been released. I can honestly say that this breaks new ground for any 00 gauge loco model yet produced and the wealth of extra details especially around the bogies is amazing. It just goes to show that if a manufacturer gets involved with prospective customers and people that know the prototype a top model without any silly errors can be produced.

I have left this link to RMweb for the most recent thread on the model and it is well worth reading if you are really interested in model railways and the production side of the process.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/61611-dapol-western-breaks-cover-at-steam-swindon/

Rich,

Been watching this too Rich, the limited edition for Steam looks superb. I'm holding out for Maroon Small Yellow panel and BR Blue should funds allow.

It's amazing Fran and I can see lot's of Heljan Westerns turning up on ebay soon. It has set the bar at it's highest so far in 00 gauge. Advice and knowledgeable opinion of the prototype is free and given willingly on forums like ours and RMweb. It just amazes me that other manufacturers don't do it, it costs nothing and it doesn't do any harm to reference knowledgeable people. Well done Dapol.

Rich,

beautiful models from dapol. tha class 22 is a real beauty. above all the steam locos built in the UK, the great western engines always warm my heart - magnificent machines, even the 56x pannier is as graceful as it gets! as regards the western, why are they sometimes referred to as 'warship' class?

beautiful models from dapol. tha class 22 is a real beauty. above all the steam locos built in the UK, the great western engines always warm my heart - magnificent machines, even the 56x pannier is as graceful as it gets! as regards the western, why are they sometimes referred to as 'warship' class?

The Westerns are a different class Seamus and are classed as class 52. The Warships are classed as class 42. You are spot on the class 22 is a lovely model as are a lot of the Great Western prototypes.

Rich,

Only thing I'm not sure about is the real springs on the bogies, cosmetic only but they look a bit naff to be honest. I have a couple of the 22s and they're not a bad model, would be nicer with some tweaks and still not sure about the mechanism, she overheated on Brendan's layout, although that might have been the hornby sapphire decoder that was in it, which I'm not a fan of.

Still, the wizzo looks fab, and they're doing a 73 too, can't wait for that either.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the real springs on the bogies, cosmetic only but they look a bit naff to be honest. I have a couple of the 22s and they're not a bad model, would be nicer with some tweaks and still not sure about the mechanism, she overheated on Brendan's layout, although that might have been the hornby sapphire decoder that was in it, which I'm not a fan of.

Still, the wizzo looks fab, and they're doing a 73 too, can't wait for that either.

Fran imagine if the springs actually served a purpose and the bogies were sprung. I remember a chap using clothes peg springs on a 7mm scratch built model and when they were weathered they looked really good. However if any kind of kink or bend does happen to the spring it could look strange. I think I might have to invest in one myself in ochre.

Rich

Fascinating stuff. The closest I've seen on an RTR model up until now has been 'working' yaw dampers on the HO gauge Voith Maxima...

That's one hell of a model Pat. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the cardan shafts beneath the chassis on that model, and connected to the bogies.

Rich,

Here's a thread about the Voith Maxima model. I wonder who the manufacturer is.

waggonfabrik I think? Super model, would love to get my hands on one, but Irish/British/American is enough as it is before going European too!

I'm also debating which Westerns I would like to pick up. Already have a Heljan D1015 in Golden Oche, fancy a Maroon Small Yellow panel and a dirty banger blue one at least.