Where is this?

Rate this topic

Lambeg man

I was having a sort through this afternoon and came across this. I did not take it, I can't remember where I got it and there is nothing on the back of the photo to indicate a source.

A. Where is the location &

B. If it is your photograph, apologies for any copyright breach.

image.thumb.png.4d262a80699e45b96ba0af47cb228dff.png

Given the very clean state of the locomotive, I am guessing this was taken during the "Province of Leinster" Railtour in 1966.

Showed this to my dad during a What’s App chat tonight - he was on pretty much every enthusiast trip in Ireland from 1959 till now. He thinks it’s Drogheda on a trip to Kingscourt. In fact I think I can spot him in front of 49’s smokebox...

Edited by Galteemore

Ah, Drogheda makes sense now, south end of the down platform. The train would have just arrived back from Kingscourt, hence the way the engine is facing. A 'WT' would shortly whip the train away to Belfast. Thank you all for your responses.

Is this of any help Galteemore?

image.png.5d571b866fd4d791d56531cdf60b6e84.png

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

I thought Drogheda too at first, and it remains my best guess, though the platform wall didn't look quite right. The bus on the left would certainly fit the bill, though.

The curve doesn't look sharp enough, yet at that stage of the game, with no Enniskillen or Clones any more, the three tracks between the platforms could hardly be anywhere else.

Yes Eiretrains, you are correct. It is Navan. I've just cross referenced with other photos and that is definitely the Navan water tower. Well done you and thank you for solving my question. There was no such tower at Drogheda. Can we now consider this matter closed?

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

AHHH! That explains my disquiet about the curve and the wall..... good spot indeed!

Another way of telling which tour it was, was the fact that the locomotive was spruced up and buffers painted white or silver, and smokebox door hinges likewise. As can be seen, it was also cleaned and polished within an inch of its life. By 1966, steam engines were NEVER that clean!

I stand to be corrected on this, but I think that the cleaning etc. was done by, or assisted by, the youthful members of the fledgling RPSI (ex-RBAI school railway society, or Drew Donaldson Society!).