Track plan of Cyril Fry’s original layout in his house in Churchtown

Rate this topic

I always thought the W & T would make a superb model. You wouldn't need much space. you would not need point-rodding or signalling, let alone a cabin. You could do its entire history with half a dozen ancient (albeit necessarily scratchbuilt) carriages, a 2.2.2T, their 0.4.2T, a Midland "J26" (555), and a pair of AEC railcars and a Park Royal to go in between. That's it.  Convincing.

I'm sure it could have an update - had it survived, the AECs would have seen out the 1960s and mid 70s, and from then till the mid 90s they'd probably have shipped in a re-engine "C" and made the railcars push-pull. Not much variety, but it was isolated. Since the, the sole stock on the whole line would inevitably be two 2-car 2600s. Nice idea for a "shelf" layout; Tramore in 2020.....

In this day and age, the track plan would have a single turnout at Waterford, leading to a shed, and nothing at Tramore, I am sure!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NIR said:

Cypana Junction looks a bit continental to me. I can also see the essence of Minories in a few places, twin opposing crossovers on a curve, this was before Minories wasn't it?

Minories.......not familiar with it, NIR - can you enlighten me?

He did indeed see his layout as “international”. He has a lot of French, British and other continental models, even a whole Union Pacific train!

• Like 1

It's the parallelogram of track I see in a few places on the Fry layout that seems to appear (later on) in Minories. Minories is said to be inspired by Bishopsgate Metropolitan line station in London but I don't see it myself, maybe the inspiration was the Fry layout?

Edited by NIR
  • Like 1

Ah! Many thanks, Galteemore. I was unaware of that - it's an excellent design.

27 minutes ago, NIR said:

Cypana Junction looks a bit continental to me. I can also see the essence of Minories in a few places, twin opposing crossovers on a curve, this was before Minories wasn't it?

You're absolutely right, NIR; this "Minories" thing accrding to that article above was in 1957. Fry had his "Cyprana" up and running over ten years at this stage.

However.... with Fry's contributions to the RM quite often at that stage, the two would have known each other very well. Is it possible that Freezer based his "Minories" on an idea of Fry's?

3 minutes ago, NIR said:

It's the parallelogram of track I see in a few places on the Fry layout that seems to appear (later on) in Minories. Minories is said to be inspired by Bishopsgate Metropolitan line station in London but I don't see it myself, maybe the inspiration was the Fry layout?

My thoughts exactly!

• Like 2

Suspect Galteemore and me will not be the only ones drooling over the Sligo tank!

As for prototype track plans, a couple of turntables essential for the W&T, though not many wagons needed! Always thought Skibbereen (or was it Schull?) had an interesting track plan, with all trains having to reverse in and out of the headhunt. On a terminus - fiddle yard layout, it would be easy to hide the latter behind the goods shed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1