BR blue & grey on Irish rails

Rate this topic

Hi All

Do any of you have pictures of ex BR stock, in BR livery, running on Irish Railways? 

I can only think of 2 instances where this might have happened. The first is ex-BR mk2 stock purchased by NIR in the 80s. I know for sure some of these made it to Dublin on occasion before they received NIR livery. The second is ex-BR Mk2a stock that Irish Rail purchased in the 90's. Did they travel by rail or truck from the port? Were they shunted around Inchicore for a bit? Out on the network on clearance trials maybe?

And perhaps 1 more... the Mk3 BREL International coaches. Did they arrive in Ireland in their original livery? 

Any images greatly appreciated!

Dave

Edited by dave182
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

"Irish Railways Traction & Travel" (2nd edition) has a photo by Chris Walker dated 21.01.1989 taken at Connolly of NIR First Open No. 904 in service in an 'Enterprise' set, but still in full BR 'Intercity' blue/grey livery.  

Remember travelling on that train the ex BR WR coach even had its window destination stickers still!

1 hour ago, Dhu Varren said:

Interesting photo. When the mk2 coaches came over from BR and were fitted with 5'3" bogies did they leave them in BR blue for a while? The NIR livery seemed clever as only required repainting below the windows to convert from BR to NIR

20 minutes ago, Noel said:

Interesting photo. When the mk2 coaches came over from BR and were fitted with 5'3" bogies did they leave them in BR blue for a while? The NIR livery seemed clever as only required repainting below the windows to convert from BR to NIR

Nice thought. However, when repainted, 904 went straight into the 'Bumble Bee' livery. As far as I know, none of the other NIR Ex BR coaches ever ran in service in BR blue and grey. 

18 hours ago, dave182 said:

And perhaps 1 more... the Mk3 BREL International coaches. Did they arrive in Ireland in their original livery? 

Yes, but that wasn't blue/grey.

6 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Remember travelling on that train the ex BR WR coach even had its window destination stickers still!

Still has the BR data panels as well, giving it a 100mph maximum speed.

Does that make it the fastest Mk2 in Ireland? ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Noel said:

The blue used by NIR was actually quite different to BR blue, but they could indeed have done a "hybrid"!

7 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Yes, but that wasn't blue/grey.

Correct. It was a cream or very light grey colour, if I remember rightly, with either very dark grey or black, and red.

4 hours ago, Dhu Varren said:

Nice thought. However, when repainted, 904 went straight into the 'Bumble Bee' livery. As far as I know, none of the other NIR Ex BR coaches ever ran in service in BR blue and grey. 

That is indeed my understanding too. Just those ones.

There's an earlier precedent. In the 1940s, when the NCC brought in a number of scrappers from the LMS to replace bombed stock in the wartime attacks on York Road carriage sidings, the livery of the day was unlined maroon, which most got straight away before entering traffic. Just maroon, with the number and "L M S   N C C". However, a few went into traffic in full LMS livery, at least one with just the new NCC number roughly hand-painted over the LMS number! Naturally, full NCC livery, then UTA green, would follow.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Correct. It was a cream or very light grey colour, if I remember rightly, with either very dark grey or black, and red.

Effectively BR InterCity Sector livery with slight colour variation, picture here of an unconverted one at Inchicore on B4 accommodation bogies:

943390298_originalInchicore.jpg.01c6568701f82520c874846150ec47ac.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, hexagon789 said:

Effectively BR InterCity Sector livery with slight colour variation, picture here of an unconverted one at Inchicore on B4 accommodation bogies:

943390298_originalInchicore.jpg.01c6568701f82520c874846150ec47ac.jpg

Not Blue and grey indeed, but exactly the type of photo I was after! As an aside, has this coach in this BREL livery ever been produced as a model?

10 minutes ago, dave182 said:

Not Blue and grey indeed, but exactly the type of photo I was after! As an aside, has this coach in this BREL livery ever been produced as a model?

I have to say I hadn't realised how bad the colour fading was on that photo, here's one which clearly shows the actual colours:

D9Xm-vAWkAUrbGk.thumb.jpg.88167844cd9a2bcbc93b5d87f4cafa7c.jpg

Much clearer how the general scheme is much more similar to IC Sector.

As to your question, I'm not aware of any rtr model of these coaches of any sort but there were some conversion kits by someone I think