Origin of the “flying snail”

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

London Transport dreamed up the “wheel & bar” logo in the 1920s, and almost a century later it’s still in use.

In 1941, the Dublin United Tramways Co. are said to have copied it, and added the “wings”. The story is possible, even probable, although no clear hard evidence exists to verify it!

In tramway days it was known as the “winged wheel”, with the ubiquitous “flying snail” name, of typical Dublin wit, coming later!

A87B06EE-2CB7-4F12-B675-8258AE9DF623.jpeg

65F5C07F-8FFB-45AE-B260-ED2B84971C34.jpeg

The Flying Snail, like the London Transport logo, has stood the test of time well. Maybe one day things will come full circle and we'll see it adorning modern stock at some point. It's certainly a cut above the current logo, which is a horrible design.

Trolleybus GVA 101 in het Nederlands Openlucht Museum Arnhem 19-06-2016

And also adopted by the municipal transport authority in the Belgian town of Arnhem. I seem to recall reading somewhere (possibly a poorly translated Belgian forum topic) that they got the idea for the logo after seeing it on Irish buses during a visit.

• Like 1

I think it says a lot though, that even after some decades, it's still quite a modern looking design. 

If anything I think the 'wings' enhance the roundel design, it gives more of an air of speed than one could hope to achieve on most of the tube in London and certainly would be achievable on a bus with dense London traffic.

Perhaps it's just coincide that the snail makes things seem faster, or did the designers have a cunning plan to quicken people journeys without actually tightening the schedules? ;)

• Like 1