JM Design 20T Goods Brake Aug 20 update

Rate this topic

Mayner

On 9/10/2020 at 7:55 AM, Galteemore said:

Thinking about a cow being subjected to 60mph in one of those cattle vans is enough to make you turn vegan.... I was three months old when that photo was taken - wish I’d been paying more attention in those days! 

The cow as well off compared with modern passengers in the South East of England, who sit on BOARDS.

We refer to the 800 Class IETs as "Ironing Board Seat" trains - some epithet for Britains "World-beating" trains?

It was probably more comfortable in the Stockton & Darlington Thirds 200 years ago - apart from the smuts!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

You do wonder about ‘progress’. Just remember what it used to be like, Leslie ! Proper GN food in the luxury of wooden bodied stock ....

image.png

Is the lady leaning out of the staff area?

If so, she looks uncannily like my mother, who briefly worked the dining cars on that route in the very early 50s......!!

When Alice retired Mella took charge of the catering.    She had a habit of leaning out of the window when the train  stopped at a station.     I waved to her a few times in Dundalk when she was in an up train heading to Dublin and I was on a train going to Belfast.   Andy Crockart made a TV programme on the GNRI Line between Belfast and Dublin and interviewed Mella.    She was from Omagh and started work on the Derry Road.     She told me she was on the train on 24th November 1950 when 5 men working on the track were run over in Omagh Station.  She said she was down on the track under the restaurant car nursing one of the men who died as she was holding him.  Being from Omagh, she knew the five families.  In the New Year's Honours List,  1991, She received the British Empire Medal  for faithful service to the Railway all through the troubles.    After she retired she sometimes attended the RPSI winter Meetings where practically everyone attending knew her.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1