WAGON WHEELS MATCH

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

Hi guys, anyone on here who knows about wagon wheels, is there a difference between the size of wagon wheels on Bachman, Hornby & Dapol, by difference I mean from one side to the other, not the circumference of the wheels, but from one track to the other..! Hope I’ve explained this right..! Oh & yes I’m talking about OO gauge, TIA

BTB

Edited by burnthebox

11 answers to this question

@burnthebox

Their all the same, they have to be to fit OO track!

The wheel flanges are all generally made to the same NEM spec- as in thickness. The wheels are set with a 'Back to Back' setting of approx 14.7mm, there are exceptions when working with old wheels that don't comply with the NEM specifications. Hornby used to make pretty thick flanges on their old wheels but they don't do that anymore.

Eoin

• Like 1

Less of a problem these days, but go back 20-30 years and back to back measurements could be very important for good running. The B2B could vary quite a bit from different manufacturers and a gauge was an important tool to set wheels. Indeed, still is on my Fintonagh layout. Track gauge is 21mm, B2B needs to be around 19mm and if I get any derailment at a show, that is the first thing I check. More than 0.3mm out can cause problems.

• Like 2

26mm is the common axle 00 gauge, as murrayec points out, there are exceptions.  Lima wheels were on 24.5 mm axles, and so are Murphys Models coaches, both Craven and AC types. I assume this is because they are manufactured in factories that make HO scale coaches normally, where 24.5mm is the common axle length.

• Like 1