Si2020's Workbench

Rate this topic

Si2020

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Wowser! That looks a job for the loom shop, hate to have to test all the cables !  I guess all for leds on the ends and in the tool hole. The finished job will be brilliant.  Thanks for sharing.   I think you deserve a lie down!

Robert 

Thanks Robert,

Yes its for lights with each end having the following

2 x Marker lights

1 x Day light

1 x Night light

2 x Tail lights

1 x Cab

2 x external working lights

1 x Top light

So around 20 wires for the leds to be threaded back to the decoders. There are some more wires ie pick up etc to add even more in to the mix.

The job has been made a bit more difficult as it was sent to me to install the lights with no thought to how the wires would run etc. When i get roud to building my two then it will hopefully be a little bit a lot easier to install the lights.

Thanks

Edited by Si2020
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:33 PM, Robert Shrives said:

Hi 

5Ps and all that - proper planning prevents poor performance ! 

Can you fit a master and slave decoder one in each cab area and just link pick up wires?

Robert  

I wish it was that easy Robert, The model has a sound decoder and a function decoder fitted inside what would be the engine housing. The main issus is the sound decoder only has a few powered outputs with the remaining ones being logic and there isn't enough room to fit a ESU 21 pin board that enables the logic ones to be converted into a power ou put. Plus the marker lights are controlled by the sound decoder to make best use of the outputs as this thing looks like a christmas tree when its lit up 🎄

• 4 weeks later...

That looks very good , and I am sure more reliable than the real thing - but they do live and work in a hostile world of dust, vibration and the human hand/boot !  I like the way it looks as only the 2mmfs track it stands on gives the game away the fine scale z track is also very good.  It is a mark of a model or work of art in this case is that the gauge/ scale of model is not instantly definable. It shows how the fidelity of the hobby has moved on in the last decade or so.

Mind you doing it in 2mm would test the most saintly of us ...  thanks for showing.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 7:50 AM, Robert Shrives said:

That looks very good , and I am sure more reliable than the real thing - but they do live and work in a hostile world of dust, vibration and the human hand/boot !  I like the way it looks as only the 2mmfs track it stands on gives the game away the fine scale z track is also very good.  It is a mark of a model or work of art in this case is that the gauge/ scale of model is not instantly definable. It shows how the fidelity of the hobby has moved on in the last decade or so.

Mind you doing it in 2mm would test the most saintly of us ...  thanks for showing.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments.

If someone did a kit of it in 2mm then I would give it a go (with the lights too), but for me personally its too modern for my eras that I model. Having said thst I still have my 2 to build.

Now if a 07-16 was in 2mm then that would be a must to add to the collection. Got a couple of those to build in 4mm but thats for another post.

In the last century a supplier to the model trade did a 2mm/ N etched 07 -16 but what with all the issues only a few were delivered and some angst caused.  The 1:160 model without  central roof is a reasonable model and some have added a central roof section to  make fit the common UK version ( Not that many if any left in traffic now.) 

It might be something that Revolution models might have on the pad given it is working up a drive train for a LT 1938 tube train model which would suit a tamper .

Robert  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 8:21 PM, Robert Shrives said:

In the last century a supplier to the model trade did a 2mm/ N etched 07 -16 but what with all the issues only a few were delivered and some angst caused.  The 1:160 model without  central roof is a reasonable model and some have added a central roof section to  make fit the common UK version ( Not that many if any left in traffic now.) 

It might be something that Revolution models might have on the pad given it is working up a drive train for a LT 1938 tube train model which would suit a tamper .

Robert  

I heard of that etched model but didnt know any more about it. May have to sit down and draw up my own etches for one. Best add it to the project list.

You never know what might turn up from certain manufacters these days but if one certain one brings out a 4mm verison before I've built mine there will be trouble 😄

Edited by Si2020
  • Funny 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 25/3/2022 at 8:00 PM, Galteemore said:

Very nice - what kind of hornblocks are you using ?

Thanks, They are standard High Level kits hornblocks. I personally I don't use anything else.

On 25/3/2022 at 8:30 PM, Joe Keegan said:

Tasty 🙂

Will you be fitting a flywheel ?

cheers 

Joe

Hi Joe,

At this moment in time I'm not sure as it will depend on how much space is avaible in the bolier area as its been fitted with sound and a stay alive so a bit of stuff to fit in there.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A bit of design work has been done recently. One of the issues when kit building is the lack of the right transfers in some cases, so that leaves desgining your own to fill the gaps.

Spent a pleasent couple of hours working out sizes and styles, fonts etc.

IMG_9003.thumb.JPG.64752fcad3fcf3415e17806a49141008.JPG

Looking forward to seeing how they turn out

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would pop in for a quick update whilst the securrty code for work comes through to access the system.

Been building some track work for a friends layout. The crossover is in a helix and has 2 points that are curved D12s and are 30" and 27" radius.

IMG_0364.thumb.JPG.a0b1f452dd9f11e4c75cb7e18216dd5a.JPG

IMG_0365.thumb.JPG.53d49e6a2f7518b217c392a27f1e8ba3.JPG

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

So its been a while since I posted, not sure where the time has gone. so to start back, here is the cab of the next Tamper I'm on with. I'm doing 2 versions the 80 and the 100. The white glue is the glue and glaze to produce some sort of lens for the lights. On the next one im going to try a different method of fitting the lights and will try using some clear resin, which if it works will make another project easier to do.

IMG_8961v2.thumb.JPG.f63602e74d6b85367de449760a420ebe.JPG

• Like 3