CIE AEC /Regent AR & DR Class

Rate this topic

GSI345

George Heaney recently released his Kit Of Leyland TD5/TD7 Highbridge. I have Hand painted mine as a CIE AR Class & DR Class. 

AR Class - CIE Bought one AEC Regent Entering Service May 1946 

DR Class - CIE Bought Six Daimler Engined CWD6’s entering Service also in May 1946 

Both Operated from Conyngham Rd Garage.

A56F2568-0694-43CB-AD28-43A6C1143FB7.jpeg

799E70AE-E81C-49DE-A551-2F6FC1BBF9EE.jpeg

F2E72844-F25F-466C-8480-8315905A0F8A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

Gosh! Lovely models.

My memory has been revived by these two model buses.  I well  remember these two classes of Bus. Generally the ARs ran on the 23 to Ballybough, and the DRs on the 72 to Oxmantown Road.  Periodically each class ran on other routes, the AR on 9 or 10 to Donnybrook, the DR on 77?, but in general, they were assigned to the two routes mentioned. My recollection of the Daimler Radiator - colour was Brass. AR1 was follow by a further ten Regent IIIs (AR2-11) placed in service in 1947.

I would love to have models of these buses but, my lack of skills would ensure I made a mess of their assembly and painting - so, well done in presenting these two beautiful models for our perusal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 23 & 72 goodness gracious David!

As a kid in the 1960s my mother used to take the 23 to visit her elderly aunts in North Richmond Street and the 72 to visit her sister off the Oxmontown Road usually R or RA busses, for me the highlight of the 23 was a brief glimpse of the railway at Island Bridge Junction though I didn't get to travel upstairs unless my father came along. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The finished models look super.  Great modelling.

The 23 was the bus for getting to work in the early 60s.  On 8 March 1966 the Pillar was blown up and it took me 3 hours to get to work. Spent all morning sitting in a 23 trying to get through Parnell Street and didn't arrive in work until 12 noon.  When I explained to my boss, he said, 'Well it will probably take you the same to get home again', and told me I could head off after I'd had my lunch.  So, I spent another few hours sitting in Parnell Street.

What scale are the models?

• Thanks 1

On 21/12/2020 at 11:16 PM, Old Blarney said:

Gosh! Lovely models.

My memory has been revived by these two model buses.  I well  remember these two classes of Bus. Generally the ARs ran on the 23 to Ballybough, and the DRs on the 72 to Oxmantown Road.  Periodically each class ran on other routes, the AR on 9 or 10 to Donnybrook, the DR on 77?, but in general, they were assigned to the two routes mentioned. My recollection of the Daimler Radiator - colour was Brass. AR1 was follow by a further ten Regent IIIs (AR2-11) placed in service in 1947.

I would love to have models of these buses but, my lack of skills would ensure I made a mess of their assembly and painting - so, well done in presenting these two beautiful models for our perusal.

Thank you for your comments and additional information on these vehicles. Waterslide Decals will be available for these in the New Year & they will Be Modelled on routes 23 - Ballybough & 72 - Oxmantown Rd. 

On 22/12/2020 at 8:07 AM, DART8118 said:

The finished models look super.  Great modelling.

The 23 was the bus for getting to work in the early 60s.  On 8 March 1966 the Pillar was blown up and it took me 3 hours to get to work. Spent all morning sitting in a 23 trying to get through Parnell Street and didn't arrive in work until 12 noon.  When I explained to my boss, he said, 'Well it will probably take you the same to get home again', and told me I could head off after I'd had my lunch.  So, I spent another few hours sitting in Parnell Street.

What scale are the models?

Many thanks for your comments on these Models. I really enjoyed painting these. These Models are 1/76 Scale. I have a GNR & GSR Examples in the Making and will Share Images when Completed 

• Like 1

GSI345,

You may be aware the buses you have modelled had two identification plates on their fronts and one on the bonnet. Corcoran and Managhan, CIE BUSES 1945-1987 has excellent photographs of these and many other classes.  A small metal plate with a white background and black Lettering and number AR1, DR1, etc would be attached to a bus of these classes.  This plate was was normally positioned above the headlight of the driver's front window and positioned in line with the Eau-de-nil lining on the side of the bus.  An identical plate was also affixed to the side of the bonnet at headlight height. Also, a small green coloured plate with the Garage Identification written in gold was affixed on the front of each bus.  C,road for Conynghame Road. D,brook etc.   I'm desperately trying to recall whether or not the Garage identification plate was duplicated on the side of the bonnet too. Can anybody confirm this? Again, beautiful modelling. For perfection the identification numbers were also shown on the rear of each bus - transfers were used and positioned on the Eau-de-nil band in the central position vertically and horizontally. 

• 3 years later...