Push-pull trains and 121's.

Rate this question

irishthump

Question

Couple of questions for the hive mind....

Regarding the MK3 push-pull sets - the only pictures I've seen of these shows them in the tippex livery. Did they ever carry the Supertrain livery? Also were they ever hauled by 121's still painted in Supertrain? 

Regarding the AEC Railcar push pull sets - were these ever hauled by 121's as opposed tothe re-engined C Class?

19 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Regarding the MK3 push-pull sets - the only pictures I've seen of these shows them in the tippex livery. Did they ever carry the Supertrain livery? Also were they ever hauled by 121's still painted in Supertrain? 

Regarding the AEC Railcar push pull sets - were these ever hauled by 121's as opposed tothe re-engined C Class?

No, the "supertrain" livery was gone by then.

AEC cars - I'm pretty certain they were only hauled by C's in push-pull mode. However, while I never saw it, I think the AECs may have been HAULED rather than "push-pulled" the odd time by a 141. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

AEC cars - I'm pretty certain they were only hauled by C's in push-pull mode. However, while I never saw it, I think the AECs may have been HAULED rather than "push-pulled" the odd time by a 141. 

Bugger! I guess it will have to be a case of "what if" on my layout!

Many thanks for the info!

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Bugger! I guess it will have to be a case of "what if" on my layout!

Many thanks for the info!

"Rule No. 1" always applies!

Rule No. 1.:  It's YOUR layout!

A narrow gauge line I had put together in the 1980s broke "accuracy" rules on a whole range of levels, from realistic track layouts to liveries to gauges........but I liked it! And those of us who had layouts in the early '70s will remember painting a Hornby Mk. 1 in orange and black, and having it hauled by a BR-liveried Class 31......... so in "Irishthumpland", the "supertrain" livery lasted until 1999!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

"Rule No. 1" always applies!

Rule No. 1.:  It's YOUR layout!

A narrow gauge line I had put together in the 1980s broke "accuracy" rules on a whole range of levels, from realistic track layouts to liveries to gauges........but I liked it! And those of us who had layouts in the early '70s will remember painting a Hornby Mk. 1 in orange and black, and having it hauled by a BR-liveried Class 31......... so in "Irishthumpland", the "supertrain" livery lasted until 1999!

On a point of order, in "Irishthumpland" steam never existed and Supertrain is still running in 2021!

• Funny 2

28 minutes ago, irishthump said:

After the commencement of DART services to Bray a 121 was used on a 3 car ex-AEC set on a shuttle from Bray to Greystones. This worked from the bay platform at the south end of Bray station. This lasted until the summer of 1987 when the AEC cars were withdrawn. The last 2 driving cars were 6107 and 6111. The 121s were in Supertrain livery at this time. 

• Like 2
  • Informative 2
  • WOW! 1

9 minutes ago, 108 said:

After the commencement of DART services to Bray a 121 was used on a 3 car ex-AEC set on a shuttle from Bray to Greystones. This worked from the bay platform at the south end of Bray station. This lasted until the summer of 1987 when the AEC cars were withdrawn. The last 2 driving cars were 6107 and 6111. The 121s were in Supertrain livery at this time. 

Wow, thanks for that! I had a vague childhood memory of seeing this formation but I dismissed it after JHB's reply. Good to know I have'n quite lost it!

• Informative 1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:07 PM, jhb171achill said:

Well I thought that, but some months ago I came across a photo on Flickr of a push-pull set with at least two intermediates in Supertrain instead of Tippex completely blowing away my belief that all Mk3 push-pull coaches started life immediately in Tippex.

3 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Well I thought that, but some months ago I came across a photo on Flickr of a push-pull set with at least two intermediates in Supertrain instead of Tippex completely blowing away my belief that all Mk3 push-pull coaches started life immediately in Tippex.

I'd be interested to see the pics. The control cars certainly never ran like that, as the "tippex" livery had arrived before they entered traffic. 

The older stock were air-con, so this would have meant two a/c coaches running within the set? Certainly a new one to me!

Just now, jhb171achill said:

I'd be interested to see the pics. The control cars certainly never ran like that, as the "tippex" livery had arrived before they entered traffic. 

The older stock were air-con, so this would have meant two a/c coaches running within the set? Certainly a new one to me!

No definitely push-pull intermediates, they had hopper windows not sealed ones.

I've an idea of a couple of Flickr accounts to check but I'll leave that to tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hexagon789 said:

No definitely push-pull intermediates, they had hopper windows not sealed ones.

I've an idea of a couple of Flickr accounts to check but I'll leave that to tomorrow.

Wow! 

That's interesting to a "livery nerd" like me...... But it begs the question were these carriages which were later amended (window-wise) to fit these sets (but not repainted)? If so, that's ALSO something I was unaware of...... I'd be interested to see the pics.

Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, Noel said:

Love those massive distinctive  round buffers on the AEC sets

The AEC railcars were originally fitted with smaller buffers, but I think there were issues with buffer locking. When the new larger buffers were fitted the lamp irons had to be moved inwards to new positions, as lamps mounted on them would have been hidden by the buffers.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

16 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Wow! 

That's interesting to a "livery nerd" like me...... But it begs the question were these carriages which were later amended (window-wise) to fit these sets (but not repainted)? If so, that's ALSO something I was unaware of...... I'd be interested to see the pics.

Thanks for the info!

Don't thank me too much, I still haven't found the blasted photo!

Doing my nut in trying to recall exactly which Flickr account I found it in.

• Funny 1

Well no luck finding the original photo, that had a set with at least two non-Tippex Mk3 suburbans in the set and was pictured at a station.

However, there is a silver lining - my search turned up not one but two other photos of a rake of suburban Mk3s, each set had one vehicle in Supertrain, that is to say no white 'Tippex' bands.