If you could choose only one? Just for fun a hypothetical short survey

Rate this topic

Noel

1 hour ago, DSERetc said:

Leslie,

Perhaps, when you are building it, you can correct a big mistake in the original design.    For a young train spotter travelling from Dublin to Belfast, the one big disappointment of the journey was Portadown Roundhouse.    All we could see was the back wall.    You could place it so that passengers to and from Dublin may see the interesting engines inside

DSERetc

Hhmmmm, well now that's a good idea, but impracticable in a model situation - I only can see one side and my principal line - the Armagh Line runs at the front of the layout and makes access to locos which need a prod first thing in the morning a lot easier - see the Portadown Jct video - the third snip shows the way I've done it - I suppose I could turn the World / house round on its axis?

I could put up a giant cctv screen on the lineside showing the front of the shed to Dublin "spotters"?

This 20 year old Bush my well-off son bought me for Christmas is having a funny effect on me ........

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1

Quite agree all this modern image is all very well,but for me the interesting time is  pre CIE,though not to extent of one mate of mine who avers that the romance of the railways went out with the horse(Fintona excluded).Andy.

On 2/2/2021 at 11:50 PM, jhb171achill said:

Ah! A breath of steam air! Me too.......

Some of the young'uns here will be appalled at the likes of you and I seeing an 071 or an 80 class as "too modern to be of interest"!

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Quite agree all this modern image is all very well,but for me the interesting time is  pre CIE,though not to extent of one mate of mine who avers that the romance of the railways went out with the horse(Fintona excluded).Andy.

Good to see we have several colleagues right now working on pre-GSR stuff! .... Senior was into that period, though he'd be 103 now if he was still hanging about! One day, maybe we'll see a "full GSR" layout, based about 1937......and not a diseasel about!

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Good to see we have several colleagues right now working on pre-GSR stuff! .... Senior was into that period, though he'd be 103 now if he was still hanging about! One day, maybe we'll see a "full GSR" layout, based about 1937......and not a diseasel about!

Right now seeing one steam loco on a layout is rare.....nevermind full pre 1945 layouts!

• Like 2

It struck me recently that Rosses Point could easily flex from 1930-1960....all I’ll say for now is that I have wheels, motor, paint and etches in place for a GSR loco when and if that 0-6-4T lumbers out of the erecting shop....and there’s the possibility of a maroon carriage or two.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

Valencia harbour is 1935 and Courtmacsherry is early 30s,will they do, all steam apart from the odd appearance of a C Class,Andy.

The J26, J30 and the origional trio of tank engines are what i think of when i think of courtmacsherry. C Class was a monster compared to the steamers on the line. The only other major change in line working from CIE to GSR days was the regular passenger services which were suspended

22 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

Well so far i've built 552,90,100,Argadeen and St Molaga for Courtmacsherry and the pile of bits for Slaney is growing.The only loco which can properly run on both layouts is the C Class even though its miles too modern.i must admit 802 does look a bit odd there when shes being run in.Andy.

I would imagine a silver/green C class would look obscure next to black steam engines almost twice as small! The two J30s, 552, Mologa and argadeen are beutiful little locos......slaney can wait as it was withdrawn very early if memory serves