Has there been any OO/HO model trains produced with operational doors?

Rate this question

ShaneC

Question

I've seen a few German manufacturers have started doing operational pantographs on mass-production models now recently but I don't think I've ever seen doors.

Has anyone spotted any models with working doors? Reason I ask is I'm tempted to re-print my Mk4 coaches with the doors as seperate pieces to try make this happen but I'm a bit skeptical whether the mechanism could be made small enough in OO scale to where it can't be seen inside the coach. I figure there must be a reason it's never been done..

11 answers to this question

Roco  did a demo model of a "Silver Fish" suburban coach set with lights and opening double doors, just like the real thing.

I don't know if it ever went into production, but it was a very compelling model.

Oh, and working pantographs have been around for about 40/50 years at least on HO models

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Oh, and working pantographs have been around for about 40/50 years at least on HO models

Thanks for info! I'd only seen a few of them recently - seem to be more popular in the German market than UK/Ireland

Shane,

See:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Roco+model+coach+with+opening+doors&docid=608045586067423920&mid=10D5A2A14783BE42A13910D5A2A14783BE42A139&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

NOT a Silver Fish set in this video but standard express set.

I leave you to search further - good luck - German / Austrain / Swiss railways, real and model are great!

Leslie

• Like 1

Some old Hornby box vans had sliding doors, and there are some kits that can be modelled with open doors (like the dapol meat van) however thats only goods vans. 

That does remind however that when I saw the latest Hornby 'sliding door' mk3 carriages I got very excited then very disappointed that they did not in fact open, but were just the name of the type of door that the prototype had haha. 

44 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

I beleive there was issues with these working, and were on the pricey side and never caught on. Still, more convincing than the Marklin LED screen doors on their railcar (though I do love a gimmick) 

Would love to know who gave that the green light.

Gimmick indeed!

Thinking of trying something like this as a motor:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000408554947.html

Still a question of whether it will fit somewhere it can be hidden (like in the W/C) but if it can be achieved in HO scale then doing the same in OO sounds plausible. On coach-stock anyway, probably no where to hide the mechanism on EMU/DMUs hence that dodgy digital attempt from Marklin

Remember seeing a Dutch or Belgian layout which not only featured opening doors, but passengers getting on and off too!

It was a sort of puppet theatre type layout - small/narrow, but deep. The 'train' was a single railcar, which shuttled back and forth. At the front it was large scale (hence the opening doors/animation), then it disappeared off scene, reappearing as a smaller scale model going the other way, repeating several times until it must have been N or Z at the back. The scenery complimented the gradual reduction in scales. It was wonderful to watch, being set at eye level, while hidden underneath was a plethora of electronics of course!

• Like 2