Worsley Works GSWR six wheelers

Rate this topic

David Holman

Trawling the web, noticed that Worsley Works are planning to do a range of GSWR six wheel coach body etchings. How soon, it doesn't say, but could be very useful when they are. Just sides, ends and fold down battery boxes, if appropriate, but will take much of the hard work out of building a panelled coach body for sure.

There is also a selection of GNRI and NCC bogie coach bodies, which makes me wonder who has bought/made any and if so, why we haven't seen them here...

Hi David,

Allen already does these in other scales, I have a couple of 2mm scale ones under way, albeit not touched them for 6 months or so.

I've also built some of his non-Irish coaches and loco bodies.

If you you email him he will produce them, if you are lucky and he is preparing stuff for the next batch for the etchers turn around can be quite quick.

As you've noted the kits are scratch aids and only contain the basics for the body but do save a lot of work if you were stating from a blank of brass or plastic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David Holman said:

Trawling the web, noticed that Worsley Works are planning to do a range of GSWR six wheel coach body etchings. How soon, it doesn't say, but could be very useful when they are. Just sides, ends and fold down battery boxes, if appropriate, but will take much of the hard work out of building a panelled coach body for sure.

There is also a selection of GNRI and NCC bogie coach bodies, which makes me wonder who has bought/made any and if so, why we haven't seen them here...

They've actually had them on offer for quite a few years, David - I've a few myself, not made up though.

Eoin posted a build of one lately, for a customer....

Edited by jhb171achill

33 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Eoin posted a build of one lately, for a customer....

Here is a link to the build, these are Studio Scale Model kits though, I have a few of the Worsley Works kits also, the advantage of the SSM kits is that you get all the parts for the model- seats, white metal castings, wheels and instructions! Though does cost a little bit more.....

Eoin

• Thanks 1

As JHB indicated Worsley Works has produced scratchbuilders parts for Irish Coaches for the best part of 20 years, SSM have produced complete kits for GSWR, GSR & GNR coaches for a lot longer!

The main advantage of the Worsley Works scratchbuilders parts is that its possible to blow the artwork up to a large scale or shrink the artwork to a smaller scale with minimal tooling cost compared to re-sizing a complete kit.

I think the main reason that there are few photos or articles in this newsgroup on building coaches using Worsley Works parts is because of a perception among group members that scratchbuilding or assembling brass or metal kits is in the too hard basket with many people prepared to wait on the off chance that a manufacture will produce a rtr model than to take a chance and develop their skill as a modeller.

Faced with an absence pf suitable rtr stock modellers such as  Kirley & Colm Flanagan have produced excellent models of GNR, UTA & NIR stock using Worsley Works parts with rtr plastic donor bodies https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93496-kirleys-workbench/

A few CIE coaches assembled from Worsley Works parts about 10 years ago, assembly and finish was not the greatest but they pass muster as 'layout coaches".

The main challenge was producing the roof as  the proprietary roof mouldings/ extrusions were too narrow for an Irish coach and ended up cutting Comet roof extrusions length ways and filling the gap with filler, these days I would form the roof in sheet metal in a similar manner to the SSM coach roofs.

I still need to sort out a set of correct Irish Commonwealth bogies

1933937821_25Jan09003.thumb.jpg.c3b7260d32c34c3f60f29f629a5bc0de.jpg

Park Royal

1666768819_25Jan09005.thumb.jpg.b14890ede26d827cc06cda466517be34.jpg

64 Seat Laminate Open

• Like 4