Running your IRM A class with what stock

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

@jhb171achill- Great photographs of the 101s - haven't seen images of these locomotive with this quality and clarity. Anyway, don't be jumping the gun, there's nothing RTR to operate with the early As and so, before we start talking about the 101s, we need a few Park Royals and the like before then. Having seen the IRM As in green I'm certainly considering looking at the early CIE diesels - the advantage being the rolling stock is shorter and you can fit more on a layout.

Exactly! I always think 70ft coaches look downright peculiar on 2ft or 3ft radius curves. Behind a “C”, two six-wheelers, three goods vans and a guard’s van is more than adequate, and many of the wooden bogies seen behind them, or the A or B101 class were 50ft or even 48ft.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, connollystn said:

@jhb171achill- Great photographs of the 101s - haven't seen images of these locomotive with this quality and clarity. Anyway, don't be jumping the gun, there's nothing RTR to operate with the early As and so, before we start talking about the 101s, we need a few Park Royals and the like before then. Having seen the IRM As in green I'm certainly considering looking at the early CIE diesels - the advantage being the rolling stock is shorter and you can fit more on a layout.

Precisely and SWB wagons as well. Nothing looks as well as 15 or more two axle wagons behind an A class, nor short coaches of the period. This will be especially so on a layout. We are fortunate to have large radius curves on Kingsbridge but even with those mk3 stock just doesn't look right, nor even mk2. The 57-60ft coaching stock looks more natural on a model layout. Looking at most of the old Youtubes from the 60s and 70s of A classes in traffic they are usually hauling large rakes of mixed 2 axles loose coupled wagons comprising mainly of H-Vans, Cattle wagons, Open wagons and a few short flats carrying a tractor or a car, etc. The old aerial photos of the marshalling yards at places like Kingsbridge, and Tralee show goods sidings packed with two axle vans.

• Like 2

Ah jhb171achill! No need to do that, you should post your next lot of pics here as we've run out of suggestions about what to run with our IRM A classes. Anyway, I'm sure that what ever ran behind the As in the early years operated behind the 101s and the Cs also so, technically, you won't be going off topic (something that's unusual for this forum).

• Like 1

FWIW, In IRRS Journal June 2016, No 190, p101 there's a photo of A39R just like the IRM model pulling a goods of cattle wagons, covered wagons, flats with motor cars and more.  To finish out the modelling it needs an E413 to provide banking.  Meanwhile, the next Compatibility Chart might be for some of these.  I've used Provincial Wagons kits for this listing and if someone would like to confirm what A-Class liveries pulled them that would be great and I'll do up a chart.

CIE Bulleid Open

CIE Bulleid Covered H Van 

CIE Sunderies 

Double Height Beet

CIE Gunpowder Van 

CIE 20ft Skeleton Flat

Guinness Beer Tanks

UTA Brown Van

UTA Van No. 2459

GNR 9T Van

GNR 10T Van

GNR 15T Coal Wagon

SLNCR 7T Van

Spoil Wagon

CIE Cattle Wagon

SLNCR Cattle Wagon

GNR Cattle Wagon

GNR(I) 20T Brake Van

GSWR 10T Brake Van

The only ones above not likely ever to have been hauled by an "A" class would be a SLNCR vehicle of any sort or NCC "Brown Van", though a very slim possibility might exist of the latter. These vans were not much used in goods trains.

A UTA "Spoil Wagon", or the "2459" van - no.

In all of the remaining cases, all liveries would have hauled them, as follows:

Silver, green or black, early black'n'tan, or black with yellow ends - all of the wagons bar the exceptions above, the skeletal flat and double beet, and all wagons grey at the time.

Supertrain - in either grey OR brown, 

CIE Bulleid Open

CIE Bulleid Covered H Van 

CIE Sundries 

Double Height Beet

CIE Gunpowder Van 

CIE 20ft Skeleton Flat

Guinness Beer Tanks

GNR 15T Coal Wagon

CIE Cattle Wagon

GSWR 10T Brake Van

- PLUS the palvan, if a model appears.

After the "tippex" stripes appear, it's all bogies and modern stuff (shale, fert, bubbles, etc) in brown.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/5/2021 at 9:58 AM, jhb171achill said:

Moving from “A”s, let’s hope for a 101 in the future!

F407C77D-7FE4-4511-A659-F37D012AEA79.jpeg

Beaumont, I can't believe that you posted this.

A "101" is a steam locomotive - just 111 of them (eight numbers were reused, so you could claim 119).

This THING (only kidding) is a "Sulzer".

• Funny 1

Now, Jon, to be nice to you -

Of all the Provincial Wagons kits I have commissioned, virtually everything would been hauled by  Silver, Green and the earliest black liveried A Class.

I agree that the UTA Brown Van would not have been. Likewise the Spoil wagon (OK with a blue NIR "C Class", of course). I think that the type of van which UTA 2459 is meant to represent regularly worked over the border in UTA days, so would have been hauled by an A Class.

The SLNCR types are unlikely to have had "the honour' of such haulage, but I bet someone can produce a pic of one being shunted by an A Class at Sligo, because it happened to be in the way!

The Loco Coal wagon and the bread containers were also unlikely to see CIE diesel haulage - the latter because they seldom crossed the border.

Maybe I ought to do another run of the GNR bagged cement van? They lasted forever and probably were hauled by every diesel CIE ever had except the "201"s?

When the boys do their C Class, the same very much applies - the C Class found their way to Cavan, so most things GNR (I do a lot of those for some reason) would have seen C Class haulage.

All available as kits (not too hard to build - plenty of successful builders on this site) and you have the satisfaction of saying "I MADE THAT!!!"

Finally, three of Roderick's 00 Works locos would have hauled most of my wagons.

(Still open for business)

Leslie

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Beaumont, I can't believe that you posted this.

A "101" is a steam locomotive - just 111 of them (eight numbers were reused, so you could claim 119).

This THING (only kidding) is a "Sulzer".

It's a B101; I omitted the "B"! As our transatlantic colleagues might say, "my bad"!

(But, Leslie, we're chatting with young wans here who don't know what a steam engine is..........)

Your points about Provincial Wagons are very true indeed! I've dozens of 'em now..........

• Thanks 1