Cleaning loco wheels

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

18 answers to this question

The Peco wheel cleaner is still a good and cheap device.

pl-40.jpg

Add a couple of croc clips and you're away. Or, even buy two and mount the brushes at a suitable spacing and drop them on the track - there is a contact strip on the back that will collect power from the rails directly.

For non-driven wheels, a brass brush in a cordless multi-tool is a good way.

draper-44477-spare-brass-brush-for-95w-00066056M.jpg

Some very good suggestions and well worth investigation to find something that suits your needs. I always remove the wheelsets and clean the wheels with IPA on a Q tip. To make sure that you will have flawless running after a cleaning session. Also while you are at it clean the rail heads on your track. If you are cleaning wheelsets with traction tyres remember that traction tyres tend to redeposit dirt back on to the track so give them an extra bit of elbow grease. Just as a little bit of an excersise clean a few rail heads and you will be amazed with how dirty they get so quickly a Q tip even dipped into some white spirit will suffice. Also as an aside if cleaning rail heads avoid a track rubber at all cost's.

HTH

Rich,

Rubber traction tyres don't cause dirt on your track. What causes dirt on your track is the arching between your steel wheels and the track causing a build up of carbon. This has been well documented on other forums. Turn your lights of and run your trains in the dark you should see the arching between the wheels and the rails. It's also believed that its more prominent with DCC. I use a cotton bud and white spirits to clean the wheels. Works a treat.

Edited by Anthony

Rubber traction tyres don't cause dirt on your track. What causes dirt on your track is the arching between your steel wheels and the track causing a build up of carbon. This has been well documented on other forums. Turn your lights of and run your trains in the dark you should see the arching between the wheels and the rails. It's also believed that its more prominent with DCC. I use a cotton bud and white spirits to clean the wheels. Works a treat.

Also available in a full-size form..

Traction tyres were fitted to the Lima and Hornby old style wheelsets. I don't have any Hornby locos from the pre 5 pole motor double flywheel and solid chassis we are used to today. I don't know if Burnthebox has any Lima 201's or older Hornby locos in his collection. Lima 201's are fitted with traction tyres and they don't have steel wheels. When Hornby released the first batch of their super detailed diesels the class 50 was the chosen model to be produced. The first releases were fitted with traction tyres even though they were very heavy when compared to the previous Lima, Hornby style diesel models which needed the tyres for traction as the locos were light and didn't have a lot of pulling power. Due to requests from modellers the later batches were released minus traction tyres because traction tyres cause dirt that is re deposited onto the rail. There is a healthy supply of traction tyres available from spare parts retailers because they need to be replaced on a regular basis because they get very dirty quickly and yet again deposit dirt.

Ultrascale produce drop in wheelsets for the Lima diesel models in different gauges and they don't have traction tyres. Most modellers add weight for better adhesion or double motor their models because traction tyres cause dirt. Ultrascale wheelsets are nickle silver. They will however on occasion produce a batch of steel tyred wheelsets on commission and the person requesting them has to pay up front, I know this as I have made enquiries with the company about some drop in wheelsets in steel. Black Beetle wheelsets are nickle silver. The rail in Peco track which the vast majority of 00 modellers use is nickle silver not steel. P4 Track CO and C&L produce rail in steel, nickle silver, and hi ni. I know that a lot of the lad's use the Hornby Railroad ex Lima class 55 to power their kit built models, I don't know if they have traction tyres. Other suppliers provide wheelsets for Steam Models that don't have traction tyres. Murphy models don't use traction tyres because due to the weight and haulage capabilities they possess and the fact that they create dirt they aren't used. Steel wheels are better matched with steel track. I have almost scientifically investigated all the pros and cons of traction tyres steel wheel or steel tyred wheels call me a rivet counter if you like I enjoy doing it. To end this I do agree with the comment in a previous post in relation to arcing in certain circumstances.

HTH,

Rich,

Try using a little of this stuff ( Wahl Clipper oil). And when I say a little I mean a little. I put a little on a cotton bud and run it along the rails for about 20cm. Then run your trains and their wheels will put a micro thin layer around your track. I have inclines on my layout but i never get any problems with traction and using the wahl clipper oil. I've had great results also it can be used to as a lubricant in your locos. I can't stress enough a very little goes a long way. I've also been reading up on guys putting a very slight amount of transmission fluid on their loco wheels and this also seems to be getting great results in keeping track and wheels clean and in good condition.

This is also a good read http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/3229

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Anthony

Try using a little of this stuff ( Wahl Clipper oil). And when I say a little I mean a little.

When I had a proper job, we had a note on a drawing that said - Apply a very small amount of petroleum jelly and then wipe it ALL off.

The idea was to get a very thin coating, but that note always amused me...