Coming to a Steam Shed near you - the Class UG is in the Post!

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Hard to tell, Patrick, without making a mess of an expensive model! At the very least, you could absolutely weather it within an inch of its life, but the white lining is going to hard to make into anything remotely believable.

So; UTA LOCOMOTIVE LIVERIES

The UTA lining style was a pale yellow / straw colour and red.

Tender and tank sides, and cab steps, had a thin red line inside a slightly wider straw line. Running plates had the red above the straw.

Connecting rods were red inside only.

Boiler bands and outside cylinders had the thin red stripe, flanked on both sides by the wider straw band.

On the BCDR section, numberplates were usually red with raised yellow-painted numerals. I have seen a pic of one (208) which appears to have ploished numerals but it could be the picture. UTA locos of GNR parentage had straw painted numerals on cabsides edged in red.

The motley collection of diesel shunters inherited by the UTA had the same style, although latterly ex-BCDR No. 28 was plain black, unlined. Numerals depended on ancestry: ex-NCC shunters had red plates as steam locos, while ex-BCDR stuff had painted numbers a la GNR.

On the NCC section, the numberplate backgrounds were also red, but the raised rims and numerals polished bare metal. This included the narrow gauge section, the rump of the B & L.

One "Jeep", I think it was No. 5, carried an experimental green livery, by all accounts like Isle of Man locos had in the late 60s, for a matter of months when new, before the then-new UTA decided it wouldn't wear well. Given how they looked after their steam locos cosmetically, it's probably just as well that such a light livery was given its marching orders.

Maybe Weshty might do a purpose-made set of transfers to cover over this awful error on the production model?

Troops,

Roderick of OO Works and I had a telephone conversation to discussed the lining colour he has used on his UG. However, having asked the question - Which colours have you used for the lining on this Locomotive? I was informed the white is not white, but a light shade of straw.

I have not yet received my model from him, so I am unable to comment,on the colours of the Locomotive and his interpretation of straw!

Old Blarney.

If it's straw, it's too light......

That said, I do salute the maker for producing this model. As always my criticism, where it exists, is with liveries, not production - and certainly not of the hard work that both manufacturers and scratch builders put in.

It can always be repainted! However, easier to get it right first time.

My UG has arrived and straw gets my vote, see attached closeup - the light makes a difference: the lining on the boiler is a true reflection of the actual colour. However, disaster has struck - damaged in transit.......I have sent this pic to OO Works and await their advice!!!! It seems to be a clean break.

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey

Tis a fine looking model indeed. And they were to be seen all over the GNR system, with the occasional foray onto the NCC in UTA days. At the far end of the GNR's territory, they were to be seen about Dublin briefly in the early 60s. I am sure I've seen a pic of one out on the Cork line doing something. So, on a layout, those locos are extremely versatile.

My only memory of them is of seeing two at Adelaide. No. 49 itself was shunting and the other was dead - dunno which it was.

So the broken piece of the drawbar assembly has been removed from the drawbar itself and superglued back into position. Shall wait a few days before screwing the drawbar back onto this. Come on folks, what about a bit of sympathy for this heart-wrenching situation??? :((

I hope it's genuine Dundalk superglue, Patrick. Don't be putting York Road or Inchicore stuff on it, or it'll fall apart completely.

Of course, many of us will remember it in a very heavily weathered and worn dirty state, but few will remember it clean! Personally, I can only remember two or three occasions when I saw a reasonably clean UTA loco.

Just to wind you up, John. I noted No.49, after being outshopped, shunting at Belfast York on 31 January 1964 and a week later on 7 February, I actually footplated her banking the 8.05pm Derry Goods up to Ballyclare Jct.

You bet she was gleaming with her new paintwork - the UTA black, lined livery suited her very well.

Arrrrggghhh!!!!

Wish I was there. 49 was itself one of the clean ones I saw, in Lisburn, probably round that time.

I think - but can't be sure - that the other clean UTA loco I saw was another of the same class, or maybe a "D" class 0.6.0.

I never once saw a clean "Jeep"; to this day it seems odd to me to see No. 4 in pristine state at the start of a Railtours!

And the only J15 I ever saw in steam was in Amiens St, and was filthy on the same level, the only paint surface showing under the rust and gunge being the drably faded grey paint on the cabsides......

Edited by jhb171achill

Arrrrggghhh!!!!

Wish I was there. 49 was itself one of the clean ones I saw, in Lisburn, probably round that time.

I think - but can't be sure - that the other clean UTA loco I saw was another of the same class, or maybe a "D" class 0.6.0.

I never once saw a clean "Jeep"; to this day it seems odd to me to see No. 4 in pristine state at the start of a Railtours!

And the only J15 I ever saw in steam was in Amiens St, and was filthy on the same level, the only paint surface showing under the rust and gunge being the drably faded grey paint on the cabsides......

Actually, John, as I scan Lance King's slides, I was most impressed by the very clean appearance of a lot of the Dublin engines after dieselisation.

I guess many were still getting some use on the Bray suburbans and to my amazement - I have scanned a slide of a MGWR "Cattle Engine" that looks as if it had rolled out of Broadstone Works the day before!

Mind you, the photo was taken in 1959 - a couple of years later, they were looking very woebegone rusting in sidings!

Actually, John, as I scan Lance King's slides, I was most impressed by the very clean appearance of a lot of the Dublin engines after dieselisation.

I guess many were still getting some use on the Bray suburbans and to my amazement - I have scanned a slide of a MGWR "Cattle Engine" that looks as if it had rolled out of Broadstone Works the day before!

Mind you, the photo was taken in 1959 - a couple of years later, they were looking very woebegone rusting in sidings!

Yes, Limerick, Inchicore and Cork - and even Albert Quay - managed to paint some steam locos as late as about 1961..... most of the few which ended their days in black were painted like this at such a late stage.

No. 49 has been in Omagh too, I have a few pictures in my collection!

Certainly, Tony, both 49 and any of its sisters would have been regulars on that line in both GNR & UTA days - a model of one of those locos would be ideal for your layout. The "U" class was also a common one on passenger trains from Derry through Omagh towards Enniskillen, though I don't think they'd have figured so much in the area after the 1957 closures.

Reading your posts and plans for Omagh North, it had occurred to me that a couple of those locos would be the ideal thing for that layout.

The "U" class was also a common one on passenger trains from Derry through Omagh towards Enniskillen, though I don't think they'd have figured so much in the area after the 1957 closures.

John

I'm sure you're right that the U Class would not have seen too much use on the Derry Road after 1957, but I DID time No.201 on the 10.15 ex Derry on 6 August 1964. I only joined the train at Portadown, but usually the same engine worked right through from Derry. The 10.15's engine was usually the one which worked out on the previous day's 3pm ex Belfast to Derry.

Still, One Swallow doesn't make a summer …….

On day to day working locomotives the linings were not that visible.

As can be seen in Richard Whitford's great picture of No. 49.

UTA085.jpg

Also Ian Blair's picture of No.45.

UTA086.jpg

The very thin red lining is not visible at all in these photos.

• 2 weeks later...
Troops,

Roderick of OO Works and I had a telephone conversation to discussed the lining colour he has used on his UG. However, having asked the question - Which colours have you used for the lining on this Locomotive? I was informed the white is not white, but a light shade of straw.

I have not yet received my model from him, so I am unable to comment,on the colours of the Locomotive and his interpretation of straw!

Old Blarney.

Having received my OO Works model of the Great Northern Railway of Ireland - (UG) in UTA Livery, I have to say the lining on my locomotive is more of a cream colour with a very slight tint of yellow in it. I looked at the colour in good natural light and against a white background. When viewed in artificial light the colour changes to a slightly deeper shade of straw yellow.

Edited by Garfield
Yellow text was difficult to read.

• 2 weeks later...
Richard - a couple of us at least asked for one in plain black - in effect the GN livery, but my first one will be Good 'ol No.49 in UTA lined black, which as Patrick says, looks good. Like him, I hate to admit that ANYTHING the UTA did was good!

As for you guys who didn't order, as Stevie says, they're sold out -

BUT, I know from talking to Roderick himself the other day, he would do another batch if he gets about ten orders, so hopefully when you steam men get reports on the loco you'll get your name down.

The UG was arguably a more useful loco than the U itself - just about capable of mile a minute on a passenger, but good for a decent length goods train - I've just brought a few dozen of my wagons out of store to see how many it can move!!!

Reports next week, but by the sound of it, the first photos will be from Patrick!

PM sent, Leslie. I would definitely be interested in one. Can't believe I missed it! I suppose my appreciation of the GNR has also grown over the last few years hence the new interest in the UG

I will have my UG pulling my stock!

See you guys at the Bangor Show.

Just about to drive up from Dublin after a fruitful day in The Archives and eyeing up my next project which was in the yard at Heuston!

Leslie

A chance for interested parties to see the the OOworks UG in the flesh!

Edited by DiveController