Availability of transfers for CIE green coaches

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Folks

Somewhere in the back of what little still passes for grey matter, I seem to recall that someone was proposing to make the correct light green (eau-de-nil) lining, "flying snails" and numerals (both "1" and "2" for doors, plus vehicle numbers). All manner of yellow, white, gold and other colours are available (many never carried on anything!) but is there anywhere that very pale green bits and pieces can be had?

While I'm at it, I see that SSM now have the roundel used on palvans and H vans from the late sixties until the "brown" era for wagons started in the early seventies, as well as the all-white ones used earlier.

And - what about a font in the old gaelic script for the old bilingual enamel GSR station signs?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Folks

Somewhere in the back of what little still passes for grey matter, I seem to recall that someone was proposing to make the correct light green (eau-de-nil) lining, "flying snails" and numerals (both "1" and "2" for doors, plus vehicle numbers). All manner of yellow, white, gold and other colours are available (many never carried on anything!) but is there anywhere that very pale green bits and pieces can be had?

While I'm at it, I see that SSM now have the roundel used on palvans and H vans from the late sixties until the "brown" era for wagons started in the early seventies, as well as the all-white ones used earlier.

And - what about a font in the old gaelic script for the old bilingual enamel GSR station signs?

Railtec seem to have some Irish flying snail era transfers in eau-de-nil colour

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1014

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?&type=5&gauge=4mm&region=2&livery=203

Blackham Transfers http://www.blackhamtransfers.com/ have produced custom transfers including green & yellow snails, solid and stencil wagon numbers.

Provincial Wagons are on their list of Blackham Transfers current customers.

Blackham transfers are rub-on similar to Letraset and have the advantage of no carrier film, I am still working from a stash I bought about 20 years ago😄

Both Blackham & SSM will produce custom transfers which is a lot handier than applying individual letters/numbers for things like wagon & coach numbers, tare and load lettering.

popeye - the packs have evolved since that time, the colours have been refined and the technology has evolved considerably. I think this got raised/shown on the other thread with colour samples but I could be mistaken.

The product is now spot printed so there's no superfluous carrier film. The print is crisp and suffers from zero fuzziness. 

There are eau de nil packs which contain ready-made carriage numbers which should remove the need to attempt to line up individual digits (life's too short, afterall). If it were the case that specific numbers were needed in addition to those already available, this is something I do every single day for the UK market particularly with loco numbers etc, with custom prices starting at £1.30.

I'd need to check the artwork but the attached was what was used when revising the colour match, just to give an idea of the tiniest variations in hues that I was dealing with!

20181016_102443.jpg

• Like 1

You could paint it like an Irish locomotive, though in all reality it doesn't bear any resemblance at all, design wise, to anything that ever ran here......!

20 hours ago, popeye said:

This was discussed in another thread a while back.

I used the Railtec snaills and numbers cat no 5635 and the green was not correct.

Unless this has been revised i would ask Steve about this before ordering any.

575558468_006(2).thumb.JPG.3d1a8868c922c91d0d37e61cacecf656.JPG

The green is right for the older version, worn and weathered a little (as it did in real life). The lettering etc. is a good bit too "bluish", though, unless it's in the light in the photo.