-
Posts
5,004 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
59
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Galteemore
-
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Galteemore replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
Yes it probably is. By 1964, though, it was a rare sight to see a CIE steam loco in Dublin. Steam on ex GN into Dublin persisted until 66, mostly Jeeps by then. The last VS run was in 65 -
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Galteemore replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
Last pic is especially interesting. Steam ‘officially’ ended on CIE in ‘63……just as in NI occasional steam lingered on until some months after the final spoil train. -
Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive
Galteemore replied to Glenderg's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
Fab. Have checked and that is Galteemore Snr in top pic - young man in brown jacket walking towards the photographer -
Looks absolutely fabulous. I was a little troubled at the start of this project at the thought that we would never see the little CVR tanks again. But the transformation into Swillybegs has actually included them and introduced a whole new cast of characters. Really exciting to see it developing.
-
One of those tat things. But look at the GNRI crest on the wall. I grew up looking at just such a one every day! The artist has actually done a fair render of the Hornby Dublo look
-
Now that’s really good
-
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Galteemore replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
-
Great stuff. Kato unitrack is a great place to start with N - like Lego track for adults! Plugs together and is designed for frequent assembly /disassembly so ideal for trying out layout plans.
-
Great stuff. You’ll be making 6 wheel coaches next.
-
Reminds me of an idea that briefly blazed a trail when I was a British N gauge modeller. In some ways this worked because the whole thing was transparent.
-
That looks terrific David, although I appreciate the effort involved. Sounds an ideal thing for a 3D printing mod
-
Interesting. Took me years of being interested in trains to work out that I prefer researching and building them to running them. Quite apart from anything else, in a display case they never stall or derail….
-
On the original etched boiler spacers it wouldn’t have / they’d been etched too large! Adrian included a ‘revised’ smaller set which the original builder had snipped off the etch (despite not being at that point in the build when he/she stopped construction). Thankfully the ‘PPs Revision’ discs were still in the box of miscellaneous empty etch sheets and random bits of wire….
-
This is fascinating and kudos to @seagoebox for recording it. Mac’s influence clearly rubbed off! Be interesting to know what names applied in steam days. 111 was always known as ‘The Sergeant’, for instance. Some ‘class’ names were applied. Thus PPs - and presumably the similarly equipped Ps - were known as ‘the wee bouncers’ because they had coil and not leaf springs. SG3s were, famously ‘Big Ds’. I have heard V class referred to as ‘Pounders’ but this may be an early usage as the name doesn’t seem to have percolated through to the late 50s.
-
A positive post before the inevitable frustration of adjustments kick in. Boiler rolled and it fits - just……
-
Laois and Let Die Dr Naas
-
I suppose, @jhb171achill, it also depended how the paint was mixed that particular day, which explains the variations. I’m sorry, I couldn't help myself …I know you have a facial expression you reserve especially for that bon mot….
-
Lovely. Always a great moment when you start putting the primer on and see the model finally blending into that image you’ve held in your mind for months. I’d be interested in what thinners you used Alan. The SG needs stripped I think - patch painting would not work and there is so much encrusted dust needs shifting; if I strip the paint, the dust will go with it!
-
Great and elegant solution. That little photo essay summarises many hours of effort and frustration I can imagine …….
-
Railway on a farm in West Cork under construction
Galteemore replied to Darrman's topic in Letting off Steam
It’s amazing: that little compressed air loco is fab! -
IRRS London Zoom Meeting with Jonathan Beaumont
Galteemore replied to leslie10646's topic in What's On?
Too far north for me sadly. @jhb171achilldoes other expressions too. His face when someone mentions the first and last trains on the Achill line carrying the dead is a classic. -
Excellent work. Always good to see people tackling brass stuff. Great result.
-
Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive
Galteemore replied to Glenderg's topic in Photos & Videos of the Prototype
The top one is especially lovely. Can almost hear that blower cracked open and the engine gently simmering -
David - I think you’d best prepare for a GNRI takeover at NPQ next time…..although this distraction from the SLNC is rather disturbing. I think it’s a case of Dundalktivitis which will no doubt pass…..I’m genetically predisposed to it. As a child I daily saw a GNR carriage crest on the wall at home, and a Joe Magill painting of a PP. Not to mention boxes and boxes of photographs and every Mac Arnold book (Galteemore senior had worked with Mac in the Northern Bank in the very early 60s and in later life was something of a liaison between Mac and his publishers/printers on occasion). As you know from taking over Richard Chown’s stock, it’s always a privilege to handle someone else’s work in what is rather a niche field. You might have noticed that I posed one of your vans with the new acquisitions. A rather crude M’ton is now chalked on it to give that definite SLNC connection! Rambling on here but what tipped me over the edge to bid on the van was the fact that my dad and his friend used to work the Antrim branch goods on a Saturday. The guard, who has long gone to his reward, found that visiting the Lisburn hostelries somewhat reduced his capacity. The wonderful Irish police court expression ‘drink was taken’ sums it up - a state of being somewhere between sobriety and intoxication. Two Belfast teenagers filled the breach and happily shunted the train at its various stops - including use of the shunter’s pole.
-
Now that’s very nice indeed. The U is very well done - all those key features like tablet catcher and tender numberplate really make a difference. Although as it’s carrying the lamp code for a stopping passenger I think the coaches might still be in Magherafelt
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)