Rob R
Members-
Posts
271 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
3
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Gallery
Blogs
Everything posted by Rob R
-
Here are 3 MGWR opens, resin printed on my Elegoo Mars 2 pro, using a water washable resin (can't remember which), assembled and painted by Paul Greene and sat on the slowly progressing Broomebridge Junction.
- 16 replies
-
- 10
-
-
-
First thing to buy when you start printing is a MUCH bigger bin.
-
The Midland mainline on Chitern Green was N gauge, the GNR branch underneath was 2mm finescale. The Manchester guys did something similar with Gransmoor, the 2mm fs bit (Gransmoor Town) was detached and did a few shows on it's own whilst Chee Tor was in the early stages of planning and construction. Happy days but a flippin' long time ago......
-
Start with components, (planks, end posts, nuts and bolts) to build up a library of bits. For a simple open wagon, just draw a quarter of it and save some time. Feel free to ask, no such thing as a dumb question. Loads of youtube tutorials for all the cad programs. Watch, learn, play. If you can, watch on one screen, pause and play cad on another. It is very time consuming, very frustrating but very rewarding. Printing on the other hand is a black art........ Rob
-
The way I look at is that if anyone started to print my files and flogging the prints as their own:- a, it would be good for the Irish modelling scene as a whole B. they are very unlikely to get rich from it
-
Subject to moderation I have uploaded the .stl file for my MGWR 3 plank open wagon body to the resources section. It is just the body only, you will have to source your own W irons and fittings. The file is to 1:64 scale (S scale) and has been printed successfully in resin. It should up/down scale ok but I have not tried that myself. Any questions, please fire away on here or pm me. Enjoy. Edit. The moderation has just approved. Thank You!!
-
One quick tip. You can save a lot of time by drawing just a section (quarter or a half) of your subject then copy/paste/arrange/digitally glue together the sections.
-
Tinkercad works for me. I keep trying more "grown up" CAD programs but the learning curve needs more time than I can throw at them at the moment. MGWR 3 plank open in S scale (1:64). I find it easier to draw up individual components and then assembling the complete vehicle. Any questions just shout up and I will do my best to help. Also very helpful if you have not seen it before is the list of shortcuts:-
-
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Rob R replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
-
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Rob R replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
Paul, I shall dust down the printer and have a play. Rob -
"Voiding the Warranty" - Mol's experiments in 21mm gauge
Rob R replied to Mol_PMB's topic in Irish Models
Paul, Are you using the 3dp track bases and, if so, do you have enough? Looking good so far. Rob Edit:- Just noticed the check rails on the prototype photo, so maybe not the 3dp bases then....... -
Thank you Sean. I will have a play when I get the printer back up and running. Rob
-
Have you got a link for the .stl files? I have a passing interest in 3d printing track (5ft 3in) and it would be interesting to see their take on it. Thanks Rob
-
The big bit of East Lynn and Nunstanton will be out and about next year along with Trowland, Trevors' little M&GN terminus, as it is the SSMRS 80th Birthday and we are "getting out there" to spread the word. Of course, in a scale where scratchbuilding and improvisation is the norm the "delights" of Irish 5ft 3in are easily overcome. M&GN 3A (ex Cornish Minerals Railway 060t) simmers on the quay at Trowland. Everything (except the clouds) scratchbuilt by Trevor Nunn.
-
Phase 2 looks good with the bridges.............
-
I have used DG's in 2mm and 4mm. In 2mm, a loop on one end only worked best as two loops coming together at exactly the same height just resulted in the wagon being pushed away. In 4mm I had no issues using loops at both ends, the extra mass of the wagons helping. I would imagine that your 7mm stock would be even better. I did blacken the whole brass fret before assembling the couplings, just touching up any odd shiny bits with a black marker pen after assembly. Rob
-
Patrick, If you do vist again, the other side and end of the goods shed, the small waiting shelter and the overbridge could do with a few electrons being gathered as well Rob
-
Patrick, It was a very worthwhile planning exercise which I am sure will inspire someone else in the future. A wonderfull set of photographs which will, with a little bit of brick counting, enable someone to produce an excellent model. Did you take a closer view of the station building and one of the other (road) side? Looking forward to your next project. Rob
-
Would you model in 21mm if RTR track and models were readily available?
Rob R replied to BosKonay's topic in Irish Models
20 I think. But I can always print more, not just yet though, flying off to foreign parts (no, not Scotland!) for a week. -
Would you model in 21mm if RTR track and models were readily available?
Rob R replied to BosKonay's topic in Irish Models
Got another pack here if you need more.......... -
My interpretation of the "non bogie secondary stock" listed in the 1961 register is that most of it was ex- M&GWR. 38 vehicles, just 91, 321 and 905 not "Midland". Were Midland 6 wheelers any better than GSWR 6 wheelers or was just the numbers game with more of them to start with?
-
All the more reason to move to S scale. https://americanmodels.com/
-
Thank you. The GNR(I) loco book is a little sparse in A class details, not much beyond the wheelbase (7ft 3in+7ft 3in) but has a very nice drawing for the J class 440 though (Black Lion, Glencar).
-
Could I please post a request for the "A" class 060? Investigating a possible SLNCR project.......... Thank You
.png.c363cdf5c3fb7955cd92a55eb6dbbae0.png)