Jump to content

jhb171achill

Members
  • Posts

    16,656
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    413

Everything posted by jhb171achill

  1. Almost finished; these bits (roof, body & chassis) just need to be painted & bolted together. Mid-50s lighter green with stripe, fairly heavily weathered, as still to be seen 5 or 6 years into the black’n’tan era.
  2. Factory finish by IRM!
  3. I think for that it would have to be black'n'tan! It would just look odd as a green P/P....
  4. I believe the long term aim is to rebuild it as a push-pull trailer, in which guise it could hypothetically work with any of the GMs or C231…..
  5. That’s without doubt what it is then. Wasn’t aware one ended up in Wexford..
  6. IMG_3879.mov
  7. Táilte Tours brought a group of 25 from Dublin and England. Allthingsdiesel, I apologise for sticking my ugly mug in front of your camera so many times when in the guard's compartment in BCDR coach 72; I thought I was clear of it! IMG_3876.mov
  8. Just checked. The last two, 47 & 78, lasted into the mid-40s; though since it was 1945, the date apparently quoted for this (1946) is wrong.
  9. This - in the National Museum of Ireland. What on earth was a locomotive like this doing in Wexford, and a load like this, apparently in 1946? Or am I mistaken about Wexford? DSER coaching stock evident (second vehicle behind loco, and at platform). If date is correct this was just before the withdrawal of large numbers of DSER coaches by CIE. But already the GSR had brought in other stock, from the beginning in 1925. All the other passenger vehicles are ex-GSWR except the 4th vehicle in the train (MGWR), and the van behind the loco appears to be ex-MGWR. If the date is correct, it looks as if nothing in this pic has yet been painted into CIE green.
  10. It seems to have been based in Belfast for many weeks now.
  11. Was delighted to see Mol_PMB’s GSWR coach in the flesh at Downpatrick yesterday. To say this is a work of art doesn’t even do it justice. This is seriously high-end exhibition standard.
  12. Be careful what you wish for! Commuting in those things, the centre cars and trailers were great, if bland; but I saw innocent people’s eyeball sockets in their laps when in an accelerating vvviiibbbrrraaatttiiinnngggg ppoowweerr car…..
  13. The top and bottom ones, certainly - they are very WLWR (and thus, after 1901, GSWR)-esque. They don't actually look like NCC stock, perhaps surp[risingly, as they have these bowed-in ends, common in GWR and Midland Railway (of England) worlds. The only company here to have that, and their stock of bogie coaches only numbered about six (bit like the BCDR!) was the Waterford, Limerick & Western. The middle coach, with clerestorey roof, is utterly unlike anything that ever ran here. The style and proportions of the roof isn't like anything here, nor (with the exception of the above) the ends, the panelling style is also not similar to anything here, and nor are those high-up small windows. The WLWR had two brake thirds, whose cloest relative would be the bottom of those three images. One lasted until the late 1940s, the other about 1952/3 as far as I remember, therefore one of those would only be in GSR maroon or the dark green, fully lined CIE livery. Both were gone before the A, B101 or C class diesels turned a wheel, though, so they'd be for a steam-era layout. I got one of the kits of the coach at the top, with the intention of putting flat ends on it, which would make it passably GSWR in appearance (two foot rule applies!), but I haven't got round to doing anything with it yet. Moreover, I've lost the bogies; no matter, the thing cost me €5 in a scrap bin sale at an exhibition somewhere.....! Meant to add, if you're not worried about the "English" ends, in MR / LMS / NCC livery they'd do well for an NCC-area layout.
  14. Enjoy your well-deserved travels, Leslie! Beware of cuckoo clocks......
  15. No black bits on tin vans of any type; plain silver all over. However, grime and weathering made many look as if they had black roofs (especially), ends, or other bits. All of Fry's models of carriages too, have silver roofs. Grey steam engines looked black, but weren't. Donegal* and GNR locos, being respectively geranium red and blue, looked as if they had black domes, black boilers sometimes, black fronts and backs of cabs, but they weren't. The railways in the past were dirty! As a result, tin vans, like the above, often looked (at worst) as if little more than the sides were silver - but they weren't. My own "silver" tin van has been weathered to the point that it just looks dirty all over bar the sides, which as per prototype ended up looking like a nondescript silvery grey.... probably the single most impractical "livery" ever devised by man - small wonder it didn't last. (* Drives me mad to see an actually black-painted dome on the Donegal engines in Cultra, Derry and Donegal! WRONG!)
  16. Thing about a Jinty, though, there were only two, and even one of those only saw about five years use. The other, apart from one or two trial runs never did anything but shunt Belfast docks. Only one got the UTA livery. The less-used one spent its days in plain black with "N C C" on the side tanks. They're actually very unlike anything Irish to look at, especially the cab area.
  17. 100%; couldn’t possibly be Abbeyleix.
  18. One of those in 7 1/4? Now THAT sounds nice.
  19. I had a look for them online. I had never heard of them, still less their (very nice) Irish stuff. And yet, I was doing G scale in the garden then (but Spanish prototype).
  20. Well, it is and it isn't - if you look at the right hand end of it in that pic, the roof just ends, without enclosing the balcony (as at the other end). That would have to be rectified, but I see that the bits for the balcony railings appear to be included. I must look at what else there is there out of interest. On a more minor detail, and easily fixable, what appears to be a white line above the windows should be pale green, as on other CIE-liveried coaches. For garden railway scale, it's a nice model indeed - I'd be tempted if I had a garden railway. Who's the seller?
  21. That’s an original 1887 Cavan & Leitrim coach, converted to a brake compo by CIE.
  22. No - this leads to a link which needs a password. It has a domain name dot io …. which seems odd.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use