Rolling Stock and Weights

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

I know that this is probably and old question but I’m not keen on searching......

1. OO Works UG Goods seems to need weight added to the tender, what’s the best material others have used.

2. wagons seem to derail a lot, I think they are just too light - is this a proper assumption?

when shunting at slow speeds and coupling/uncoupling a bit of weight is required.

• Like 1

Old wheel weights are often easily available, if you have a friendly tyre shop nearby.

Off-cuts from lead sheeting used for flashing can be handy, too, particularly for sticking under empty wagons.

Both of these can be easily cut to suit your spaces.

There is often a space issue, making the denser, lead-based, materials a better bet, but do give consideration to the toxicity issues.

Deluxe Materials produce a '"lead sand" type material (although not lead) this can be poured into any space and locked in place with glue.

Buy Deluxe Materials Liquid Gravity & Pay Later | humm

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 11:30 AM, GNRi1959 said:

I know that this is probably and old question but I’m not keen on searching......

1. OO Works UG Goods seems to need weight added to the tender, what’s the best material others have used.

2. wagons seem to derail a lot, I think they are just too light - is this a proper assumption?

when shunting at slow speeds and coupling/uncoupling a bit of weight is required.

NMRA have a formula for recommended wagon weights. Table I made up some years ago. Personally I found I didn't need to add weight to most of my wagons, but delayed uncoupling with kadee's is a little more reliable when wagons are a decent weight going over the magnets (ie reduces wagon axles being attracted to uncoupling magnets).

https://www.nmra.org/beginner/weight

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/rp-20.1.pdf

Table bases on formula above.

NMRA_Weights_RP20.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 11:41 AM, Galteemore said:

I would concur with Iain Rice approach of 25 grams per axle plus brass axle bearings. Operation will be so much better when everything is to a common standard.

Stephen

• Like 1