Inset harbour tracks

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Having been poring over online photos of harbour settings, but this far not very successful in identifying inset track. There is quite a bit in the Historic Dockyard, Chatham, but much of it is embedded in concrete and tarmac. Hence am wondering if you good folk out there can offer anything?

Wills Scenic do some quite nice setts/cobbled sheets I might use, but what was the situation in Ireland, particularly at the end of the 19th century? Could concrete have been used? Or what about bricks? Am happy to do scribed DAS for the latter, but scribing irregular cobbles might be a nightmare!

12 answers to this question

I don't know whether this is of any use, @David Holman, but I've been doing inlaid track on a Lynton & Barnstaple OO9 micro I'm currently cobbling together.

The track is just PECO N Gauge Code 55 flexi, pre-wired of course! The setts are simply a mix of Tesco all-purpose DIY filler with some PVA flipped in, spread over the track area and roughly levelled. Once dry, its sanded smooth and the level between the tracks slightly reduced for clearance, and the flangeways gouged out with an Olfa P-Cutter. The setts are scribed in with a scribing tool and a small screwdriver. This is a work-in-progress:

IMG-4260.jpg

Painted with acrylics, with a wash of Citadel Seraphim Sepia and Nuln Oil. The quay wall is good ol' Wills Coarse Stone, of course :) 

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Very much the sort of thing I have in mind for Northport Quay, Mark and certainly looks very effective. The list of colours to be used very helpful too.

Hi David,

glad its of interest! If you should like to see a bit more detail, I've got a thread running on NGRM-Online here where I go into unbearable detail about the process from about halfway down Page 1 :D 

Here's another pic which I think shows the results a bit better:

IMG-4264.jpg

As a process, the scribing doesn't actually take that long, and its really rather cathartic :) 

I might start a thread on here in the British Railways section (if anyone's interested).

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2