Tara mines rake in blue.

Rate this question

Guest hidden-agenda

Question

Guest hidden-agenda

Does any body know when the Tara mines wagons changed livery from blue to the standard red oxide and were the rakes always the same for an A class as for the 071s used today?

15 answers to this question

Not sure about length of rakes, but the colour changed at first repainting. Having said that, while blue most of them gradually got so dirty tyou could hardly tell what colour they were - just like today (but without the graffiti). I have to add that I'd happily electrocute anyone who puts graffiti on anything at all, railway or otherwise!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Guest hidden-agenda

Thanks John as i found one pic of them in blue and its the only one i have seen to date so just looking more info for reference.

Regards Gareth.

AFAIK, a full rake is 12 wagons?

That is the most they haul. Generally 10-12 daily use. There was 25 wagons and 2 were converted and added to the fleet. If the 2 links ran with 12 each day that would only leave 1 as a spare in the wagon shop or Limerick works for maintenance until the other 2 were added.

Some days during the week I see a tara train with only 7 or 8 wagons and the other with 11 or 12 but they are usually back up to at least 10 each the next day.

If anyone has pictures in blue livery I'd be interested in seeing that please

Only ones I can think of off the top of  my head

79.0550 Dublin-Alexandra Rd.

and one from Ciaran Cooney Collection

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations N/Navan/IrishRailwayStations.html#Navan_20110321_003_CC_JA.jpg

Edited by DiveController

On 12/13/2012 at 2:11 PM, Railer said:

That is the most they haul. Generally 10-12 daily use. There was 25 wagons and 2 were converted and added to the fleet. If the 2 links ran with 12 each day that would only leave 1 as a spare in the wagon shop or Limerick works for maintenance until the other 2 were added.

Some days during the week I see a tara train with only 7 or 8 wagons and the other with 11 or 12 but they are usually back up to at least 10 each the next day.

The short trains tend to run when Tara is changing from shipping one product to the other.. the two products(Zinc and Lead) are never carried the the same rake..

• Informative 2

On 18/12/2018 at 5:50 PM, MOGUL said:

The short trains tend to run when Tara is changing from shipping one product to the other.. the two products(Zinc and Lead) are never carried the the same rake..

Indeed - 12 is normal, never more. Occasionally 10 or 11, or even 8 or 9 (they pass my house so I see them - one passed not long ago...) but on one single occasion I saw just three.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:41 PM, jhb171achill said:

Indeed - 12 is normal, never more. Occasionally 10 or 11, or even 8 or 9 (they pass my house so I see them - one passed not long ago...) but on one single occasion I saw just three.

i saw 4 and 6 not so long ago, i must have pictures of 083 with 4 at port

• Like 1