Locomotive shed at Connolly station

Rate this topic

Darren.d

This is what I would do, if you don’t have the confidence to start from scratch with bare rails and a track gauge.

Make a little jig which will allow you to cut lengths of square plastic rod to exactly the requisite height. The jig will ensure consistency. Glue these to a piece of standard sleepered track and secure the whole assembly on your baseboard, making sure it’s dead flat and not twisted. When glue is fully set, snip away the sleepers. That will give you an approximation of the look, whilst ensuring that the gauge is also correct. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Agree 1

Saw this myself yesterday.exactly what id need.would need multiples of it.my shed is 260 mm wide and 1000 mm long.with 3 tracks inside.maybe I'm being to ambitious for a first build.thinking a 3d printer might be a cheaper alternative ,as need raised walkways ,vents and roof details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just curious,anybody have an idea when the 4 brick arches were removed and the shutters installed on the engine shed in connolly.iv seen a picture of the shed in 1971 with the arches and also looks like the modern side building is not there either.looks like something red brick in keeping with rest of building.iv been unable to find a picture of what this was.

Iv the side extension made as a separate building as not sure when it was added.think ill make up both fronts of the shed and see which I like best.id like my shed to be sorta mid seventies in feel.im a child of the 70s after all.

Dar.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have knocked up a new front of arches.been spending time looking up pictures and videos online and after a bunch of attempts its not too bad.it also seems there's a side building and what looks like a chimney.also have looked at a survey map from around 1910 and there's a 4 track coal yard to the right of the turntable.

Need a trip to marks models have to get brick paper sheets.trial and error iv used up my stock.also need windows and brick headers from lcut uk which takes several weeks .

20230227_123628.jpg

20230308_114200.jpg

20230308_114209.jpg

20230309_121018.jpg

• Like 14

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not been doing much of late.had all my window bays done and cut out and noticed id measured wrong id 16 instead of 18,so had to start over.18.bays done and covered in brick paper.when finished I'm now 40 scale feet short but its fine for me.

20230610_175555.jpg

20230610_175658.jpg

20230610_175818.jpg

• Like 4