Garda ERU / ATLAS training.

Rate this topic

35 minutes ago, Lambeg man said:

A visit to the Fire Service training centre at Morton on the Marsh circa 1985 revealed a rake of Mk 1 carriages and a withdrawn Class 40 there, apparently for the Hereford Gun Club's use.

OMG! You were lucky to get out alive, if the locals had seen you misspell Moreton-in-Marsh...

I presume it was a source for Much Binding in the Marsh and the antics of Kenneth Horne and Dickie Murdoch.

Did you get to drive on the M96 motorway? Few people have.

• Funny 3

On 10/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, Galteemore said:

The Hereford Gun Club on the big island have used old Mk 2 and 3 carriages for their activities. That may or may not be worse ! 

Sorry Galteemore, but is that a paid up member of the HGC in the photo? I always thought they sought complete anonymity?

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Galteemore said:

It’s an Eastern European friend. Hence lack of black tape over eyes. 

Bizarrely for this thread, there is a railway connection in this story. Don't know if I ever mentioned to you that I applied for membership of the HGC back in 1976. The initial test was described as a 36 mile route march over Dartmoor(south to north) in middle of a very cold February, 18 miles a day over two days with a very weighty pack on one's back. I got a couple of things right like keeping my clothes inside my sleeping bag so they were not frozen in the morning (unlike some who folded their's up and laid them on the ground beside them). On the debrief I was commended for having advised my group that rather than trying to walk 'as the crow flies' on a compass bearing, which involved much hill (Tor) climbing, that in the middle bit we should follow the track bed of the old GWR Princetown branch. Though this was a longer way, at least it was relatively level. I was equally delighted to find that after walking miles of bog, we were walking on the old track ballast that was still in place in 1976. If it put four miles onto our route, it was the easiest walking surface we had for the whole two days.

We eventually reached the rendezvous (RV) point only to see the transport trucks drive off. A note left on the ground gave us the grid for the "re-arranged" RV point 5 miles away to the east. On we trudged to the new RV point, where surprise surprise, the same thing happened, only now the new RV point was to the south. That's when I gave up and went back to being an ordinary Vehicle Mechanic in the REME. Good job I did, otherwise I would never have ended up at 79 Railway Squadron RCT in 1979!   

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

Thirteen years after you did that, during my brief naval career I was on an exercise from HMS Raleigh in exactly the same place : summer of 1989 and the weather was totally opposite. Some s*d had taken my boots and I was in a size too small. The drinking water had run out and I well remember  tabbing along the course of the Princetown branch with my tongue hanging out and fantasising about drink, any kind of drink. I still recall the sheer joy of holding a glass in my hand in the PoW Feathers in Princetown. 

Edited by Galteemore

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

Dear Broithe, would it be possible to just very briefly describe what was happening in the deleted video that started this most entertaining thread? LM 

It was the Garda ERU and a few other European police force units gaining entry to railway carriages in simulated "tactical manoeuvres".

Now that it is, apparently, sub judice, it may be that I have said too much already...

Edited by Broithe
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Don't worry, me and Galteemore are watching your back.

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

In my case, only on weekends and when mobilised…

I would prefer that you were watching the front, then you might at least get in the way of something...

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I think if certain security forces were present at that exercise, they don’t like having pictures taken which may show their identity.

Precisely the reason myself and Galteemore hide our true identities when looking after Broithe's welfare. BTW, Galteemore goes to the front. 

• Funny 4