Irish Railways 1922-23

Rate this topic

skinner75

54 minutes ago, mfjoc said:

I love the picture of the G&SWR Baltic tank at "Inchicore"

Yes, I would have thought that highly paid folk at RTE would have worked out that the Ampersand was in the wrong place!

It's a particularly nice photo of a  Whitelegg Baltic, which like most Baltics belied its fine appearance with mediocre performance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 13/12/2022 at 9:49 AM, skinner75 said:

This is the type of thing that the "historian" side of me absolutely detests, like the lazy, amateurish and utterly contemptible attemps at any sort of historical background to Indakinny's series about cycleways on railways. Especially today, five minutes on the internet gets pretty much 90% of all the detailed historical research anyone would want for an RTE or BBC programme..... pathetic!

1 hour ago, mfjoc said:

• Like 1

Personally, I think it's pure laziness. The information IS out there.

I am sent historical queries of all sorts from time to time. In the past, I often had to delve deelpy, often in the IRRS, CIE archives, or even National Archives, before (or IF)  I could answer.

Now, I either spend half a minute to half an hour on the Interwebnet, or fish out a document from a filing cabinet beside me, or a book or journal from an (admittedly big) bookcase behind me. Couldn't be easier.

Sadly - and as many here will know - this is an absolute bugbear of mine - all of our preservation societies seem to have either an uninformed or cavalier attitude towards liveries. In two of our major ones, I have heard it said, when a correct livery is being discussed for something being restored "Yeah, but I don't LIKE that colour".

I bite my tongue; it would be tempting to say, "it's not about what you like - it should look like it WAS"......    The British take that seriously, going to great pains to get such details right. Here we just don't. The RPSI, UFTM (above all!), DCDR, KIltimagh Museum, you name it - all do a fantastic job preserving, conserving and painting something - and the final touch is the paint job - but a "touch" which is the very first thing that people see - the colours and markings.

In  the past, wrong liveries were usually through lack of knowledge. But now - worse - preservationsts know the colour something was, but actually make a conscious choice NOT to paint it accurately. Fancy a pink GNR 4.4.0? Only a matter of time. Brown and green 071? Sure.

Now just watch - serious historians and artists painting pictures of what some railway scene "used to be like", will copy that. The preservationist who "just doesn't like" the correct livery will have single-handedly created a false narrative - perfect example being a black chassis on Irish model wagons.

Model manufacturers are at it too. I don't want to put down anyone who makes Irish models - we need ye all! - but two in particular turn out models in all sorts of fantasy versions.... one of them I have personally (and tactfully!) pointed out various incorrect details to in the past, seemingly falling on deaf ears....

Now, before anyone accuse me of being an armchair whinger, I spent the best part of ten years painting RPSI carriages myself, and being "at the coal face", so I've been there........................................................ennnnyway; rant over. Happy Christmas to all...........

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

22 hours ago, mfjoc said:

I know it's Christmas and that we are supposed top believe in Miracles!  Well that picture has to be a Miracle if it were taken in Inchicore or, anywhere in Ireland!  Why?  The picture is showing a Glasgow and South Western Railway Locomotive.  The location,  St Enoch Station, Glasgow.  This was a location I knew well as I travelled to it on a daily basis prior to its closure.  It was demolished after its closure and replaced by a Shopping Centre. 

Great Southern & Western Railway (GSWR) 4-6-0 steam locomotive No 400 shortly after completion at the company's Inchicore Works, Dublin, Ireland, in August 1916. The locomotive was scrapped in 1929. GSWR official photograph. (Photo by SSPL/Getty Images)

A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our members of this forum.

Edited by Old Blarney
  • Like 3

JB I realise this is the time of goodwill to all men, but as someone heavily involved in one of the major societies, has been implicated with the modelling weirdos, and also rubs diesels for a hated traction group, what on earth are you wibbling about?

Be specific, because that is damn offensive to a lot of people who invest a lot of their time and money in things that nobody else can be arsed lifting a finger for.

A04791F9-89E6-4086-AA54-9C944719FAF1.jpeg

If the shoe fits wear it. I'm also a purist and agree with JHB. It's just as easy to get a livery right as it is to do it wrong.  I have the greatest respect for those that give their time to preservation and I'm willing to support them but not through purchasing models in fantasy liveries, that is a real turn off for me.