Herbie Richards/Brendan Pender GSWR Carriage Diagrams book

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi all,

I think this has been said before, but are the two Gents who produced the carriage book still about or are known to anyone on this forum?

I am just wondering if they would be prepared to do the book again for those of us who missed out last time, I am sure it would sell

Thanks 

Colin Rainsbury  

34 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Hi all,

I think this has been said before, but are the two Gents who produced the carriage book still about or are known to anyone on this forum?

I am just wondering if they would be prepared to do the book again for those of us who missed out last time, I am sure it would sell

Thanks 

Colin Rainsbury  

Either Seagoebox or myself will bump into herbie at some stage in the New Year in January - one of us can ask him. It's possible he might have a spare copy.

You're welcome to borrow mine, if the post office doesn't require you to sell your five bedroom mansion in the Bahamas to pay for it!  😉

• Funny 1

Is the Richards and Pender book a straight compilation of the 1924 carriage diagrams that you've published extracts from on this forum @jhb171achill, or did they draw on additional sources as well?

I'd second what Colin R said about it selling well - I'd say there would be good interest in it, I would definitely purchase a copy.

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

As this thread points out, it’s not a particularly useful resource for modellers. These are not dimensioned drawings, and as a scratch builder I’d struggle to do much with them.

Using photos too for detail, they'll alomost all give basic dimensions and design. There were four main phases in GSW design.

There is a more comprehensive set than the above, too.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The IRRS have published DCD 003 a GSWR "Carriage GA Drawing Compendium"  which would be more useful than a Diagram Book for modelers intending to scratchbuild models of GSWR coaching stock.

The IRRS have published  GSR "Classification of Coaching Vehicles P1 & P2 and GSR "Carriage Diagram Compendium" Parts 1-3 based on stock in service during the 1930s. The GSR Diagrams Compendiums are likely to have been re-prints of the GSWR and other pre-amalgamation company Diagram Books

https://irrs.ie/archives/maps_drawings/ 

A Galteemore indicated Carriage Diagrams are of limited value to a modeler outline only showing only one side of a coach, the main value of the collection is providing an indication of the stock that was in use in 1933 and 1937.

The Compendiums are scans of original documents which were sometimes in poor, faded or damaged condition quite unlike the carriage drawings that appear in model railway magazines.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2