Hello everyone

Rate this topic

Darrman

I've been reading the goings on here for a while, but now I'm going to introduce myself.

I come from West Cork and I've always liked trains, even if there hasn't been a full-sized one around in over sixty years. Occasional trips to the West Cork Model Railway Village and a bit of reading of related literature kept my interest. During the pandemic I had a bit too much time on my hands and I started reading more about the railway and keeping up with any developments.

About a year ago I made it a goal of mine to travel on every railway line in Ireland, and so I checked off much of the network over 2022, taking rather roundabout routes in order to check segments off. For example, last month I returned from Dublin to Cork via Waterford to travel the Dublin-Waterford and Limerick Junction-Waterford lines. At the time of writing I have yet to travel from Dublin to Rosslare, Belfast to Derry, Killarney to Tralee, and various Dublin and Belfast suburban lines. If anyone's interested in the details, I'm more than happy to talk about them.

For Christmas I received some railway models, and now a few weeks after that I've decided to show them off.

(Between the Tayto truck, Lyons containers, and Guinness kegs, my mother sent a message: bring back the catering!)

20230117_162211.thumb.jpg.b4ebecf290c2aadfaae6e7dbf2d279d9.jpg20230117_161823.thumb.jpg.f7dc13fcc9440a5911d074936510452e.jpg20230117_162107.thumb.jpg.4ce64c1a37ea266240b65334e5a36e7f.jpg20230117_161946.thumb.jpg.b3fbf79510208c29951fe01bd88c799c.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

Are you planning a layout in any particular era?

In some far-off future I'd like to have a ex-CBSCR layout, 1950s if I was aiming for accuracy. Right now, my main goal would to be find an Intercity 201 Class loco out of familiarity.

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Darrman said:

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

In some far-off future I'd like to have a ex-CBSCR layout, 1950s if I was aiming for accuracy. Right now, my main goal would to be find an Intercity 201 Class loco out of familiarity.

Murphy models is set to release an intercity green new loco 201 in 2 or 3 years so it should be grand. 

1950s west cork is more my taste. If you look at the threads “former CB&SC layout 

and my workbench

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/9855-westcorkrailways-workbench/

You will find ample cheap and easy ways to do west cork in that time 

My Facebook/Instagram page West Cork Railway Colourised currently may provide some inspiration 

Another thread on this forum which may be of use is @Mike 84C and @bantree photo realistic layout of bantry 

• Thanks 1