JM Design Z Boiler conversion kit for SSM J15

Rate this topic

Mayner

I produced a test fret for converting the Studio Scale Models J15 kit into the superheated version in 2012 and have finalised the production version of the fret, largely in response to the determined prodding by a member of the group including an offer to fund/share the tooling cost of the fret.

This kit is primarily intended for modellers working in 21mm or one of the wider gauges, although OO Works have announced a rtr OO gauge Superheated J15 its unlikely that the OO Works model would be suitable for conversion to a wider gauge without significant modification to the body and running gear.

1333694912_SuperheatedJ15ConversionFret.thumb.jpg.3a3c25bd7d1f95fc778459e2437bbcee.jpg

The design of the fret has evolved significantly during the past 11 years and now includes loco and tender brake gear parts to replace the challenging to assemble parts supplied with the TMD/SSM kit in addition to the heavier mainframes fitted to a number of superheated locos, extended smokebox and belpair boiler.

The revised brake gear and my original Z boiler conversion are demonstrated in my "Gaggle of J15s" thread on this board.

The kit is based on retaining the boiler tube/rolled as supplied with the TMD/SSM kit rather than the half etched boiler and firebox wrapper fitted to the JMD Y boiler 650 class, to reduce the risk of bruising/damage to a half etched wrapper during assembly.

Apart from the use of full thickness components the firebox is designed on similar principals to the Y firebox as detailed in my Y/belpair boiler assembly thread.

I am planning to supply the frets direct from my photoengraver in the UK in order to minimise shipping and handling costs.

The fret is expected to retail at £37 excl. Vat and postage with an expected 6-8 week lead time from placing order to delivery.

Please respond to this post or send a PM if you are interested in placing an order.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

All Catholic steamers are grey livery but all Protestants are B)@()<

( thank God we’ve moved on from all that, like seriously )

Indeed!

59 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

John I'll have one as i have kit waiting to be done after all with Valencia you can't have too many J15's can you Andy

Indeed - many a rural line saw little else, ever!

• 3 months later...

I have completed the final revisions to the artwork for the conversion kit and will be placing an order with the suppliers during the next 2-3 weeks currently I have confirmed orders for 4 frets, if anyone else is interested in placing an order please p.m or reply to this thread.

J15may23Update.thumb.jpg.0454c8161c2ec148b7ce18b3b2aa71ea.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/5/2023 at 12:25 AM, Mayner said:

I have completed the final revisions to the artwork for the conversion kit and will be placing an order with the suppliers during the next 2-3 weeks currently I have confirmed orders for 4 frets, if anyone else is interested in placing an order please p.m or reply to this thread.

J15may23Update.thumb.jpg.0454c8161c2ec148b7ce18b3b2aa71ea.jpg

Let me know what I owe you for the development costs