Knockmore line

Rate this topic

Interesting videos. The line passes next to the airport, Crumlin and Glenavy have about 5,000 people each, and the track is still there, if largely disused. Seeing the line open again would be sensible. As the line's Wikipedia article suggests, a Belfast-Lisburn-Antrim-Belfast loop would be an idea, and would make more sense to me than just shuttling between Lisburn and Antrim.

• Agree 1

Thanks airfixfan.  Ian Sinclair in his book "Along UTA Lines" mentioned the Knockmore line running past the airport perimeter and the suggestions some years before the book was published(first print was I think 2000) that the line could serve the airport. He suggested that either a spur would have to be provided or the entire line would need to be diverted. While today there may be potentially more passengers available to use the train the route and timings might be a constraint. By coincidence this afternoon I saw a double deck bus which looked to be full heading to the airport.  Not really enough I thought to warrant a train.

MikeO

• Agree 1

This could be the first of three circle lines running through Belfast. The second would be the re-opened GNR(I) and NCC lines through Cookstown, while third would be the re-opened former GNR(I) line to Londonderry/Derry linked to the NCC  line. This would tie in with a new line to Letterkenny proposed in the All Ireland Study.

Stephen

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darrman said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-64837601

The BBC says Translink wants to "assess the possibility" of reopening the line. Whether that will lead to anything is another question.

Sounds like politics-speak. The "possibility" needs no assesment at all; the idea patently and obviously IS possible, provided they can get around a certain wealthy taxi oligarch...........