Alan's Workbench

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

Fair play Alan for forming the skirts where the chimney/dome sit on the smokebox/boiler, its something I haven't been able to get my head around physically using a lathe or in CAD work for 3D printing.

You appear to be able to build a loco from scratch than I can assemble a kit.

Interestingly I originally though the BCDR 0-6-4T was based on the "Large Leitrim Tank" design and did not realise it was a completely different design until I noticed the longer distance between the driving and trailing axle on your model than on the Leitrim (& South Australian) locos and realised the BCDR loco was not a "Long Boiler' type with the firebox placed behind the rear driving axle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mayner said:

Fair play Alan for forming the skirts where the chimney/dome sit on the smokebox/boiler, its something I haven't been able to get my head around physically using a lathe or in CAD work for 3D printing.

Thanks John. I can understand the difficulties in achieving that and I suspect making them by hand may be easier in some respects. It's a case of bend a bit, file a bit, fill a bit, bend it some more, start again. No maths or geometry involved!

• Funny 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, Mayner said:

You appear to be able to build a loco from scratch quicker than I can assemble a kit.

Interestingly I originally though the BCDR 0-6-4T was based on the "Large Leitrim Tank" design and did not realise it was a completely different design until I noticed the longer distance between the driving and trailing axle on your model than on the Leitrim (& South Australian) locos and realised the BCDR loco was not a "Long Boiler' type with the firebox placed behind the rear driving axle. 

Bye bye brass

IMG_7715.thumb.jpg.fe58a2e0fb5bd3baaf065d24f0a4cd9b.jpg

IMG_7720.thumb.jpg.d48322c0b6da3f7668b5f79fa2b0fc0a.jpg

Managed to get away with not too much filling. It's very grey isn't it! Actually it's now black to give a good dark base for the green topcoats when we get to them. But before that....

More Little Things Sent To Try Us: Rivet transfers

IMG_7746.thumb.jpg.aac1c37a0dad3b574179a220c854c609.jpg

My first use of Railtec's 3D rivet waterslide transfers. They come in a range of sizes and spacings and are beautifully crisp but extremely delicate so they need very careful handling. Moulded in white, they're easy to see against a dark background. By the same token, any irregularities in applying them are horribly apparent in photographs, especially in long runs. Witness some of the wobbly lines above. This should be less apparent once the paint goes on and the rivets are the same colour as the background. I hope. The larger black rivets on the smokebox are from my remaining stock of Archer transfers. Putting black rivets onto a black base was a laugh.

Alan

• Like 11
  • WOW! 4

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Totally agree Alan. The basic skills are accessible to pretty much anyone. Five years or so ago I had never even touched a brass kit…

I think my learning curve mirrors yours David. I can remember not that long ago thinking that, even though the idea really appealed, building etched kits would be beyond me. And I still have the first Branchlines chassis I ever assembled. It never ran properly, and has defied subsequent attempts to make it work, but I learned a lot from it, not least that it was worth trying again. 
So Patrick, I have a spare soldering iron if you want to borrow it👍🏻😄

Postscript: Reading this back, I need to add that the failure of my Branchlines chassis was nothing to do with the design of the chassis and all to do with the cack- handed actions of a beginner-builder!

Alan

Edited by Tullygrainey
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Totally agree Alan. The basic skills are accessible to pretty much anyone. Five years or so ago I had never even touched a brass kit….That said, you do show how far they can be developed.

Hold on, David, your Dad told me what your grandfather did as his trade. You've benefited from the not-uncommon generation jump of skills!

Now, I don't dabble in this stuff, for obvious reasons - not least: shaky hands and one eye ....   BUT, I have learned that buying the right tools for the job makes everything a lot easier?

Money spent on the best tools and material that you can afford usually pays off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Finally got all the rivets in place. Then another coat of black to blend them in….

IMG_7752.thumb.JPG.74756c820e97c3f4c3e2897084b027f5.JPG

IMG_7764.thumb.JPG.b48c5af636227b3d4b8cda9f357cadb8.JPG

Put the first green top coat on. Then, while examining the finish (and this is going to sound familiar David) I dropped it. On the carpet. Before the paint was dry. Enter the BCDR’s first fluffy locomotive. 

No photos. It’s too depressing. I picked the worst bits off with tweezers but I’m not sure it’s saveable. The disadvantage of rivet transfers is that they can’t be sanded and it’s difficult to sand round them. Stripping the paint will remove them. Bu**er!

Seeking counselling

Alan

• Like 4
  • WOW! 7

That's not a bad idea. Ian Rathbone's book on painting and lining suggests something similar to remove bits of over painting or small errors with a bow pen. Wait until the paint is nearly dry and then use a fine brush, dipped in thinners on the area concerned. The paint comes away like magic. Wipe the brush on tissue and repeat until the area is cleared.

Worth a try?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

That's not a bad idea. Ian Rathbone's book on painting and lining suggests something similar to remove bits of over painting or small errors with a bow pen. Wait until the paint is nearly dry and then use a fine brush, dipped in thinners on the area concerned. The paint comes away like magic. Wipe the brush on tissue and repeat until the area is cleared.

Worth a try?

I do it like that all the time, it's great for tidying edges and mistakes.

Well I fiddled and faffed with the fluffy loco, even tried another coat of green,  but I knew I’d never be happy with it so out came the cellulose thinners. 
Hello again brass. Thought we’d seen the last of you!

IMG_7777.thumb.jpeg.d1026eb3708fd6a7e3b2bca24a7d3d38.jpeg

IMG_7778.thumb.jpeg.7e04906bec18b2c89fdb771cb46a5356.jpeg

Must remember not to have my muesli from that bowl again. 

Onwards with nary a backward glance

Alan

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...