IRM Crossley Sound Chips Are Here!!!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

10 hours ago, Jonathan_RK said:

Referring to the ESU LokSound Instruction manual, 15. Edition, November 2022, page 101

CV    | Name                    | Description

CV8 | Manufacturer‘s ID | Manufacturers‘s ID ESU - Writing value 8 in this CV triggers a reset to factory default values.

I take this to mean that the decoder will be reset to ESU factory default values. If any sound file was written to the decoder in the factory, then the sound file should be part of the factory default data and not be changed in any way due to a reset action. I hope this is the case.

Exactly that. Resetting any of our chips for example just resets them to how you got them. 

Thanks to everyone who has followed my initial conversation with F4f and offered helpful advice and suggestions, and encouragement. It is much appreciated.

I think IRM have done a great job supplying us with the A Class loco and the decoders. I'm relatively new to DCC but not to the hobby as a whole. I expect some of you are experienced DCC operators. As a new DCC operator, my requirements are for an A Class loco with configurable motor performance, sound palette, and lighting. A few pennies have dropped overnight and I now realise that I don't want to hear the engine sound immediately after track power up, or see lights coming on. That is not realistic. I want to have a start up sequence, initiated using a function key. I want to have control of brake sound, horn, lights etc. I expect some of you have already done this and are wondering why I'm stuck "at the beginning". We'll it's usually a very good place to start. I'm learning as I go.

I will continue to experiment with my Digitrax DCS52. I will purchase a Lokprogrammer in the near future, and install DecoderPro software.

Regarding the A Class sound decoder, from a technical perspective - my understanding is that the IRM 1123 sound decoder uses the ESU LokSound 5 platform, which is a "Leerdecoder ohne Sound", meaning an empty decoder without sound. The 1123 package includes a "sound project" for a Crossley engine. As far as I know, the 1123 is not supplied with any user instructions regarding how to use the sound project audio in a user application. So perhaps this is where the experienced DCC operator comes in, or an experienced DCC programmer. Perhaps there are some Youtube videos on this subject. For me this is an interesting area to get into.  As I've already said, I want to have a start up sequence, a shut down sequence, initiated using function keys. I want to have control of brake sound, horn, lights etc.

From a technical perspective - if I was to attempt a reset of a 1123 decoder, I think I would need to make a back up copy of the sound project, which I could probably do if I had produced it myself. Doing a reset will return the decoder back to ESU factory default values, and.....unless the sound project is protected, the reset could result in the decoder defaulting to a generic sound project. Perhaps the Lokprogrammer can safeguard against this happening. If anyone can confirm this, I would appreciate their input. I think this is an important point.

Any decoder from us can be safely reset to factory settings since the entire project and sounds are factory installed. 

The users manuals and function guides for the chips are on the irm website in the product pages and support pages. 

Any other questions, the community and our support team are always on hand to help with - you can click live chat on the website during working hours. 

Thanks BosKonay. At least one other member on this thread is recommending to use the ESU Lokprogrammer. Might as well ask - have IRM tested this reset process using any non-ESU programmers ? Perhaps that's not a matter for IRM, but it is of interest to the audience. Those who use the Lokprogrammer will know the answer. I could try doing a reset using the Digitrax DCS52, but I will decide on that myself. If you are interested investigating this, I'm happy to collaborate.

4 minutes ago, Jonathan_RK said:

Thanks BosKonay. At least one other member on this thread is recommending to use the ESU Lokprogrammer. Might as well ask - have IRM tested this reset process using any non-ESU programmers ? Perhaps that's not a matter for IRM, but it is of interest to the audience. Those who use the Lokprogrammer will know the answer. I could try doing a reset using the Digitrax DCS52, but I will decide on that myself. If you are interested investigating this, I'm happy to collaborate.

You can reset just by writing the CV using any controller. As all our chips are factory programmed by ESU there is zero risk of losing anything. 

Update - as I write this I have A55 idling beside me, ready for action. The 1123 decoder is working with the Digitrax DCS52, function keys working as per IRM list. Seems like a took the scenic route to get here, but I made it finally. Thanks again to all for your help and suggestions. And to IRM - well done.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Jonathan_RK said:

Update - as I write this I have A55 idling beside me, ready for action. The 1123 decoder is working with the Digitrax DCS52, function keys working as per IRM list. Seems like a took the scenic route to get here, but I made it finally. Thanks again to all for your help and suggestions. And to IRM - well done.

Excellent!

Do make sure the window is open, we don't want any monoxide issues after all this.

6 hours ago, Jonathan_RK said:

I believe I recommended the Lokprogrammer, but just to be clear, that is for detailed CV reprogramming work such as remapping functions or loading sound files. Any good DCC system will allow you to reset a decoder without risk of  mucking anything else up.

Edited by irishthump
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All going well since my earlier ramblings. We now have a MM B121 (grey and yellow scheme) playing nicely with a MM0567 decoder, and will test a MM0645 decoder in my MM B188 when the speaker arrives. A55 and A30 both playing nicely with their Loksound decoders. 

The recently acquired Lokprogrammer is proving useful for setting up long addresses, and for testing functionality. I use a similar numbering scheme to the one Fowler4F showed us earlier. 

A12 still has a Lokpilot decoder, awaiting a Loksound when available.