IRM Crossley Sound Chips Are Here!!!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

12 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

How was the sound aquired in the end? From the Australian locomotive or made from scratch?

This is thanks to a rare recording unearthed in recent months and sent onto us. ESU have worked their magic and created a full fat sound chip to finally unleash the potential of these locos. 

As above! Audio recording from the 1960s. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, skinner75 said:

Chips arrived this morning! Super-fast delivery!!

Looks like An Post collected mine yesterday evening and it left Portlaoise this morning.

Probably sitting in Heathrow at the moment, so probably get to the big CAM4 customs firewall in Madrid this evening or tomorrow.

33 minutes ago, Sean said:

where it will sit until christmas?

man im borderline annoyed that stuff i ordered yesterday wasnt sitting in the postbox this morning.

Ah, it won't be that bad once it has a CN23. Sits at CAM4 for a few days while they fill the container for Las Canarias.

Once that's full, it gets trucked down to La Huelva, then onto the boat for here. Boat takes two days.

Then Canarian customs will sort it all, and send me a letter asking for the invoice, blah blab blah by email. Probably only takes a week to get the letter after the boat docks.

Then send them the invoice and stuff by email, wait a week for them to email me the bill with tax and handling fees, pay that, then wait another week for them to deliver.

Four weeks and I'll have them.

LOL, next day delivery, you don't know how lucky you are!

The exception is if the CN23 is missing. Then CAM4 return it to the sender, never gets here. Pencil pushing jobsworths in Madrid rarely ever miss a trick.

• WOW! 2

Full marks to the IRM team for no doubt undertaking a lot of work to bring these undoubtedly elusive sounds to us!  Three of my 4 A class are original Crossley-engined locomotives, but so far, I have only bought one of the new decoders.  From my very limited experience of installing these, I’m guessing the fragile nature of the pins makes it inadvisable to regularly swap decoders between locomotives?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Patrick Davey said:

Full marks to the IRM team for no doubt undertaking a lot of work to bring these undoubtedly elusive sounds to us!  Three of my 4 A class are original Crossley-engined locomotives, but so far, I have only bought one of the new decoders.  From my very limited experience of installing these, I’m guessing the fragile nature of the pins makes it inadvisable to regularly swap decoders between locomotives?

They are very sturdy really, and if one breaks, send it back for a replacement 

My decoder is being "assessed" by Customs in Madrid today after arriving from Heathrow...

So does that mean that they're assessing the parcel to bill me for the contents,  or that they've steamed the glue open and are assessing the decoder itself in one of their own A Classes?

Edited by DJ Dangerous

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

My decoder is being "assessed" by Customs in Madrid today after arriving from Heathrow...

So does that mean that they're assessing the parcel to bill me for the contents,  or that they've steamed the glue open and are assessing the decoder itself in one of their own A Classes?

Well it is going to a “dangerous”person. 😜

• Funny 1