Ballyonait

Rate this topic

Metrovik

Started my first layout project recently, don't think my modelling skills are quite as good as they could be but that's what it's all about isn't it, getting better bit by bit. Anyway the layout is set nowhere in particular but somewhere in Ireland probably a mainline. (thank God we don't have 4 tracks!). This is reflected in the name. Ballyonait is an anglicised version of Baile Aon áit which directly translated means anywhere town. It's set from around the 1930s to the late fifties so I may need a bit of help from any experts as to what's allowed and what's not. Right now it's just a baseboard with track and buildings some scratch built,  some kit built, all of which need modification and more detail. Right now I'm trying to scratchbuild an interior for the Metcalf signal box. Anybody know if this is suitably Irish or any modifications that can make it so? 1693083171754_20230826_213747.thumb.jpg.3e99630d68dfce991d1305ae93a38d2e.jpg

Goods loading platform, one of my first scratchbuilds

20230826_213321.thumb.jpg.26fa2ea70c6ee779e77081f0f968780f.jpg

Interior mocked up with bluetack needs painting and additional improvements. Looks a little shabby right now but bear with me20230826_221243.thumb.jpg.a1d754024808c4b5f9a0cd5e38009909.jpg

The entire layout for now. Excuse the mess.

• Like 14

Thanks for all the positive motivation, I'm gonna try my best with the signal box levers but may have to resort to the kits if I can't achieve the standard, 

9 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Wow - this is looking very promising! What area of the country are you planning to replicate? GSWR territory probably easiest due to the 00 Works J15s, and forthcoming Hattons Irish six-wheelers. Plus, the GSWR was the biggest company, covering the largest area.

The idea with the layout is that it's set nowhere in particular but somewhere in Ireland, so I haven't really thought about whats going to run on it. Don't be shocked when you see an NCC jinty shunting goods next to a cork express!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Don’t apologise. It’s your layout! Main thing is that you enjoy it. Your loading bank shows you already have a solid skill base to work off

Well done so far. Enjoy it. Its the learning and trying new stuff that's the best bit.

• Agree 2

Just finished the interior of the signal box to a standard that I'm happy with,

@Patrick Davey it was an almighty infuriating challenge but I managed to complete the levers scratchbuilt with paperclips and pins followed by painting of the base. Thanks for your help though.20230827_173618.thumb.jpg.41b8d49e8782afa8fc9ba05eb1b9bd6e.jpg

The armchair is a bit scraggy but let's say it's well used by the tired signalman. The lamp is just a basic led with wires going down a cotton bud.20230827_173705.thumb.jpg.7b87761621bb421ed3f6147177071fd0.jpg

As you can see it looks a lot better from the front which is lucky. Surprised to see how much support this is getting and a huge thanks to everyone.

• Like 7
  • Informative 1