New Enterprise Stock

Rate this topic

It seems according to this article, Irish Rail and Translink are making a joint tender for new bi-mode multiple units, they sound pretty speedy too.

What do you think they'll be? Stadler FLIRTs seem to be very popular over on the continent, and the only other current BMU possibility I can think of is those Hitachi yokes they have over in Britain. Either way, it seems the end of loco-hauled services are in sight, but at least they'll still be around for a while more as the trains don't look like they're going to arrive this decade.

EDIT: I just noticed it says that the entire fleet will be in service by the end of this decade, although they still could be delayed I guess.

Edited by Branchline121
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Very interesting Branchline121, 

The article refers to 8 trainset's in the tender - is that sufficient to provide regular services in both directions including some reserve capacity in the event of failures etc. ?.

I took that return journey just last week, the quality of the rolling stock (1st class) is still very good, as were the staff, the 201 class locomotive was fine but showing signs of hard work. The journey time was delayed by flooding around Drogheda and by considerable speed restrictions from Malahide in to Connolly, none of which bothered me at all. However, it reinforces a major question of realistic operational capacity in the coming years when the expanded DART fleet, suburban units plus regional trains and Enterprise compete for the same track space ? 

I have ridden on the "Flirts"  from Sheringham to Norwich and they were very quiet and smooth. Only an hours trip but two hours might be uncomfortable unless the seating arrangements were different.

But if you change loco hauled stock for units don't you loose a certain amount of flexibility? eg passenger work by day and freight by night?

20 minutes ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Very interesting Branchline121, 

The article refers to 8 trainset's in the tender - is that sufficient to provide regular services in both directions including some reserve capacity in the event of failures etc. ?.

I took that return journey just last week, the quality of the rolling stock (1st class) is still very good, as were the staff, the 201 class locomotive was fine but showing signs of hard work. The journey time was delayed by flooding around Drogheda and by considerable speed restrictions from Malahide in to Connolly, none of which bothered me at all. However, it reinforces a major question of realistic operational capacity in the coming years when the expanded DART fleet, suburban units plus regional trains and Enterprise compete for the same track space ? 

The de Dietrich/201s that have been a staple of the enterprise for a while now have an increasingly heightening failure rate. I certainly have been taken of the enterprise just to spend a trip to Belfast on a train ment for maynooth and Drogheada commuter trips! 

it’s a shame because I think the DDs have the nicest ride quality as a passenger. Even more so then the other loco hauled trains, the mk 4s to cork. 

There would be much to be said for having a type of new train standard with the Dart bi-modals. Just have different seating configurations (EXTREMELY different) inside them, but retain the bodyshell and under-floor-gubbins and control systems. Sooner or later they'll electrify Greystones - Belfast - Bangor, I would think, so new Enterprises would end up being mechanically compatible with everything else between Greystonesw, Kildare, Maynooth and Bangor.

And here's a completely revolutionary idea; make EVERYTHING from now on with the same couplers, so that no train anywhere will ever be stranded because it's incompatible with others. Bet the Victorians wish they'd dreamed THAT one up.

Oh, wait...............

Thanks for that article Branchline121. Currently there are 3 Enterprise sets along with spare coaches. A 200 metre FLIRT (or similar) would comprise about 10 carriages with a capacity of about 400+ passengers, similar to the current Enterprise sets. So 8 new sets should facilitate the proposed hourly service. The two big questions are whether the new units will be in service for the 2028 European Soccer Championships and whether a journey time of under 2 hours could be achieved once the DART is extended to Drogheda. I assume the planners in IR, NIR/Translink, the NTA, Dept of Transport, etc., are discussing these issues in the context of DART+ and the Strategic All-Island Rail Review. Hopefully some rational proposals will emerge later in the year.

2 hours ago, irishrailways52 said:

very interesting stuff. in one way i do wonder how they will create something as good as the current service with railcars. a lot of the enterprises attractiveness comes from the great smooth ride. of cores with something electric you wont have to worry about the vibrations that you get on an ICR

That’s a very good point irishrailways but I suppose if Stadler ‘Flirt’ family units are being proposed for the service, a great thing about a lot of that family of stock, specifically the Bi-Modes operating for Greater Anglia in the UK is the central power unit which is separate from the rest of the train which would remove the vibrations too.                                    

My personal biggest fear is in fact the takeover of ‘ironing board’ seats, even the mock-up and artist impressions of the new DART stock shows something that looks similar to those awful seats and I think to refurnish the Enterprise with new seats that would be such a far cry from the luxury - even standard class - of the current DeDietrich stock would be almost a crime!

The new DARTs are just about getting away with it but even now that that’s operating longer-distance journeys now, the lack of comfortable seating would be a sharp downturn for IÉ’s supposed customer satisfaction goals.

A complete side note but I also personally think it wouldn’t hurt to put one small toilet per 5-car DART unit given that they’ll be operating some journeys that are well over 2 hours and are trying to replace stock that already has toilets? I presume there is a very good answer to this that someone will inform me of, but the thought had just crossed my mind.

Thanks all :)