Cork Kent Station Signal Box demolished

Rate this topic

Rob

44 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Oddly in the Uk it would probably haven been listed as part of the original GSWR and they have to find a work around. I don’t think Ireland is that thoughtful in preserving heritage 

Very difficult to build a platform around a signal cabin, I think if it could be saved it would have been, Ireland has lots of heritage preserved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Oddly in the Uk it would probably haven been listed as part of the original GSWR and they have to find a work around. I don’t think Ireland is that thoughtful in preserving heritage 

I don't think it was original GSWR - more like 1960s CIE rebuild...?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, it would; but not necessarily in the exact same building, perhaps?

I’ve a notion that cabin was at the least very substantially modernised from its original form more recently.

The cabin appears to date from GSR/CIE re-signalling of Cork station and was similar in general styling to other large GSR cabins (e.g. Athenry, Dunlaoire, Claremorris)

Listed with 110 levers the largest mechanical lever frame in Ireland in Railway Lines of CIE & NIR 1985, its likely that the interior of the cabin would have been modified/working levers reduced as the track layout was modified and colour light signalling introduced from the late 80s onwards.

As Jhb states the cabin was substantially "modernised" from its original form in the IE era substantially changing the appearance of the building the original timber window frames replaced with aluminium (tnted?) glazing and external window cleaning walkways added.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86202570@N02/15549327157

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

When Ballybrophy cabin went, the support structure was left for a while, functioning as a sort of shelter on the island platform.

Ballybrophy5.jpg.4289c19d639afec96c95f721d4c60114.jpg

Not the prettiest edifice, but it wasn't going to blow down.

Stafford station was still much like this in the 60s, when it and the hotel opposite were subject to improvement processes.

Nearest Train Station to Stafford

Now - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.8037074,-2.1213319,3a,48.8y,300.32h,84.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH5IjTok66jhcr3LUZS0poA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Like 4