Warley (again!) IRRS Stand is C49, with Ballyconnell Road at C50!

Rate this topic

leslie10646

My distaste for the narrow gauge is legendary (too slow for someone who travels with a stopwatch), but the chaps who built Annascaul and its impressive collection of rolling stock get top marks.

IMG_7181(1).thumb.jpg.4a8da60b67c29c12e02e67337fa3a579.jpg

A Tralee and Dingle tank on a cattle special, meets a Clogher Valley tramway loco on a short train.

IMG_7183(1).thumb.jpg.8cf68e74224ea70d5b4446032aa33c2c.jpg

IMG_7189(1).thumb.jpg.d1654743167e035cb1cfdc43bca00517.jpg

The CVR train eases onto the impressive bridge over the Annascoul River (still there today).

IMG_7195(1).thumb.jpg.216cc94fbd17412069f6d685b9ed33f5.jpg

Next along was the little West Clare railcar with a flat carrying Jacobs Biscuit containers!

From the sublime to the ridiculous(ly ) large - I can't remember the name of this massive circular American layout based on the famed Milwaukee Road. They ran impressively long trains - this coal train went round at least half the massive circle which was the running road.

IMG_7199(1).thumb.jpg.953556a423f90766614e0a2a7c50a8cb.jpg

Their way of doing "Fiddle Sidings" was ingenious - they were INSIDE the circle - where I spotted one of my "Time Machine Trains" (one I'd like to have travelled on!).IMG_7201(1).thumb.jpg.4b71c8d8fe1b7f314e4ced1acd58f786.jpg

Yes, the Hiawatha, powered by an A Class streamlined Atlantic (4-4-2 for you diesel men!). Never seen a full set in model form!

IMG_7207(1).thumb.jpg.54220f7252e6c704e0d4cbbf271de555.jpg

And the amazing "A" Class itself. The schedule demanded an average speed of just over 70mph start to stop and speeds of 100mph plus were not uncommon.

And finally, back to the sublime - South Pelaw (North Eastern Railway). You won't be surprised to hear that it won the Signalling prize!

IMG_7178.thumb.JPG.74abdd5ea1fcac23fc680c18f80cfb3d.JPG

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 2

I forgot to mention that while at Warley, I called at the Dapol stand and asked if "Claire" was there - she's the lady in their "Studio" who does their design work and did the cement vans. Well she was and I was able to thank her on behalf of all of us for the great job she did. I was aslo able to thank the lady responsible for the "painting". They were delighted to hear that the wagons had sold out and had been much admired! 

• Like 8

On 28/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, leslie10646 said:

I forgot to mention that while at Warley, I called at the Dapol stand and asked if "Claire" was there - she's the lady in their "Studio" who does their design work and did the cement vans. Well she was and I was able to thank her on behalf of all of us for the great job she did. I was aslo able to thank the lady responsible for the "painting". They were delighted to hear that the wagons had sold out and had been much admired! 

What a smoothie..!

PIMP

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, leslie10646 said:

My distaste for the narrow gauge is legendary (too slow for someone who travels with a stopwatch), but the chaps who built Annascaul and its impressive collection of rolling stock get top marks.

I got some serious enough speeds on the metre gauge in India (with steam) in the 1970s!

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I got some serious enough speeds on the metre gauge in India (with steam) in the 1970s!

Yes, JB, I understand that they whizzed along quite nicely.

Mind you, it would take something to beat my 74.5mph with a 16E Pacific in South Africa on 3ft 6in gauge.

If you took that down a seventh to the "Three Fut", then the CDR, C&L etc should have been doing sixty or so!

I'm unaware of any logs of the CB&PR, but as it was predominantly a commuter line and with double track, they may have knocked up a half decent speed. Who knows?

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Mind you, it would take something to beat my 74.5mph with a 16E Pacific in South Africa on 3ft 6in gauge.

If you took that down a seventh to the "Three Fut", then the CDR, C&L etc should have been doing sixty or so!

I'm unaware of any logs of the CB&PR, but as it was predominantly a commuter line and with double track, they may have knocked up a half decent speed. Who knows?

Senior never travelled on the CBPR (one of the extremely few lines he didn’t cover), but he was certain that just over 50 had been recorded.

My own South African travels did not include a 16E, unfortunately , though I saw one - the various 15th & 12th classes, 24s, 19Ds and GMAMs that I travelled behind were decidedly pedestrian in comparison!

Edited by jhb171achill

8 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Not exactly the British or Irish concept of a narrow gauge trains.

Maybe Queenslands 3'6" Gauge "Tilt Train" holds the Australian record at 210Km-----app/130mph  and 160km----99.4mph in regular service.

https://blog.qm.qld.gov.au/2023/07/03/the-tilt-train-australias-fastest-train-turns-25/#:~:text=Although unlikely to be spoken,service is 160km%2Fh).

A bit slower in New Zealand fastest officially established speed of 125km/h--79mph held by a Vulcan railcar (similar mechanically to GWR railcars) on a 1940 trial run in the South Island. Unofficial accounts of the modern JA Class 4-8-2s running at 85mph on the Canterbury Plains. These days the line limit is 100km for freight and passenger trains