Ardree Quay

Rate this topic

LNERW1

I’m bored, time to put more of my self indulgent shite on a forum that I have already posted enough self indulgent shite on😀. I’m building my first proper layout, and I’m basing it on  the rails running along Wexford quayside like it’s 1934. Welcome to Ardree Quay (Céibh Árd Rí). It’s a completely fictitious layout, purely taking inspiration from Wexford’s example. I want to someday have a “dream layout” style setup, but don’t yet have the space. So, I’m resorting to building individual modules that I can attach to each other when I want to/ have the space. The modules will be built to be stackable, and the design is to be usable in an exhibition scenario(if that’s not too ambitious). This is the first stage, and I’ll just make it up from here. This is the terminus of the Ardree line, a 2-mile single track line connecting the Galway-Clifden line (open till the 80s in my alternate timeline) to a small port, from which sails a daily ferry to Sheehaun Island (Another fictional location, on which my garden railway is based- I enjoy creating a sense of continuity on my layouts). There are 3 stations on the line- Ardree Junction, Ardree Town and Ardree Quay. I’m starting at the quay and working my way up. After this step, the next will be a module or two between Quay and Town stations, then a module of the outskirts of Ardree, then filling in the rest of the space, perhaps with a passing loop or two, bridges, cuttings, tunnels, etc (I know Connemara hardly justifies that amount of variation, but does it really matter? One of the reasons I chose to model Connemara is because I can’t bother me arse making trees. Give and take). I look forward to building the rest of the layout. And for those wondering, this will primarily be an out-of-season pastime while my garden railway is not running (like in winter, or on rainy days). As of right now, Ardree Quay has the track plan laid out, and buildings, structures, etc. (some placeholders) are in place. Pictures to follow :D

Edited by LNERW1
  • Like 10

39 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Garden railway modellers tend to he a hardy lot seldom let a little snow or rail stop them😄

Haha yeah, only difference between that guy and myself is that he isn’t scared of anything- he’s the same guy who blows up, crashes, sinks, drops, crushes, and otherwise mutilates any model in his collection worth less than $400 so he can film it and put it up on YouTube. You might have seen his videos- “PASSENGER TRAIN FALLS OFF BRIDGE”, etc.

Edit: the YouTuber, not @Mayner

13 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

…Pictures to follow :D

Pictures (a picture) is here.

The layout as it is now, with track intended to be corked removed for that exact purpose:

image.thumb.jpg.0a730c296265f3bb61c2df98d21ca9f4.jpg

With the track all in one piece, ready for corking:

image.thumb.jpg.13f8c4937abd0845928b2636b32a7084.jpg

I intend to cork the trackbed today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Is there a fiddle yard each end?

The far end is going to be the end of the line, and that’s just a headshunt you see there. The other end will connect to future modules, but the first module I want to build after this is actually a fiddle yard, to attach to the current end of the line, ie whatever I’ve reached at any given point.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

. And for those wondering, this will primarily be an out-of-season pastime while my garden railway is not running (like in winter, or on rainy days). 

Ok, so that means you will be working on this pastime about 357 days of each year?🙄

• Funny 3

B134 ready to make itself useful again!

image.thumb.jpg.45b28e49c31c9a5e7f1a9c45613126f8.jpg
Edit: I don’t think I have to clarify this, but it’s a ballast train. Just to be completely sure there’s no confusion.

2 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

image.thumb.jpg.45b28e49c31c9a5e7f1a9c45613126f8.jpg

Just wondering- is it OK to put the ballast in the wagons, and then apply it from the wagons? (As in, scoop out the ballast with a spoon and apply it normally)

Edited by LNERW1
Context
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
37 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Might be a good idea to change the thread title if you've settled on the name.

My thoughts exactly, i tried searching for this thread earlier and couldn't find it.

Only really pertinent to the thread as they’re in 00 and my other planned 00 layout is probably not happening, but I received what I believe are 2 Mk1s and an LMS 50’ composite, all in BR carmine and cream (that’s the name Hornsby used in 2004 and it’s the best name, IMHO).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Thought I would indulge in one of my favourite habits- rewriting the history I wrote. The line now runs direct from Galway to Ardree, situated near modern day Connemara Airport, stopping at Salthill, Knocknacarra, Bearna, Na Forbacha, An Spideal, Ardree Town (Ardree McKenna after 1965, after Billy McKenna (1803-1874), a local poet and advocate of Irish independence) and Ardree Quay. Ardree Quay is some distance out from the town and serves the harbour from where ferry services leave to the Aran Islands and Sheehaun, the fictional island my garden railway is located on.

Primary goods traffic consists of livestock from areas served by the line and produce from Sheehaun. There is also a sand merchant located about a mile east of Ardree.

Passenger traffic is the usual local traffic, run by DMUs in later years, and boat trains, hauled by my 121 and a C class I’m planning on buying. The C class and DMUs will probably come from Silver Fox.

Ardree had a loco depot until the end of passenger traffic, but this was for the branch freight loco(s). After this they were stabled in Galway or Ardree Quay’s loco siding.

The line opened in 1879, closed to passengers in 1967, closed to freight in 1974 and was torn up in the early 80s. I am modelling it between 1963-69.

In terms of stock;

Currently owned:

CIÉ 121, No. 135, original grey livery, Murphy Models

GWR 101, CIÉ livery, Hornby

Planned purchases:

CIÉ 2600, Silver Fox

CIÉ C class, Silver Fox

2 steam locos- none in particular as of now, but will probably be repainted Hornby Railroad or older models ie Hornby, Triang etc. as 00 Works releases are a little out of my pocket.

Possible Purchases:

CIÉ B class, Silver Fox

OO works locos?

No layout updates as I’ve been away for a few weeks, but I’m itching to get back at it.

Edited by LNERW1
Adding stations
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Thought I would indulge in one of my favourite habits- rewriting the history I wrote. The line now runs direct from Galway to Ardree, situated near modern day Connemara Airport, stopping at Salthill, Knocknacarra, Bearna, Na Forbacha, An Spideal, Ardree Town (Ardree McKenna after 1965, after Billy McKenna (1803-1874), a local poet and advocate of Irish independence) and Ardree Quay. Ardree Quay is some distance out from the town and serves the harbour from where ferry services leave to the Aran Islands and Sheehaun, the fictional island my garden railway is located on.

Primary goods traffic consists of livestock from areas served by the line and produce from Sheehaun. There is also a sand merchant located about a mile east of Ardree.

Passenger traffic is the usual local traffic, run by DMUs in later years, and boat trains, hauled by my 121 and a C class I’m planning on buying. The C class and DMUs will probably come from Silver Fox.

Ardree had a loco depot until the end of passenger traffic, but this was for the branch freight loco(s). After this they were stabled in Galway or Ardree Quay’s loco siding.

The line opened in 1879, closed to passengers in 1967, closed to freight in 1974 and was torn up in the early 80s. I am modelling it between 1963-69.

In terms of stock;

Currently owned:

CIÉ 121, No. 135, original grey livery, Murphy Models

GWR 101, CIÉ livery, Hornby

Planned purchases:

CIÉ 2600, Silver Fox

CIÉ C class, Silver Fox

2 steam locos- none in particular as of now, but will probably be repainted Hornby Railroad or older models ie Hornby, Triang etc. as 00 Works releases are a little out of my pocket.

Possible Purchases:

CIÉ B class, Silver Fox

OO works locos?

No layout updates as I’ve been away for a few weeks, but I’m itching to get back at it.

Less talk, more action!

Out with the saw, hammer and nails!

😂😂😂😂😂

On 6/7/2024 at 1:04 AM, LNERW1 said:

20240706_010353.heic 299.46 kB · 15 downloads  

A sneak peek of a little module to be added on. More later.

What's a decent HEIC viewer for anybody outside the Apple Bubble?

Think I have one on the PC but not on the mobile.

Ok, two questions on the locomotive roster- 

1- does anyone have a resource that lists allocations of locos including C classes, and, crucially, when they were repainted? I’m trying to find a suitable number for a C class from Silver Fox, so having one that would have worked in the west, specifically ex-MGWR lines or the North Kerry/West Cork would be nice, as well as, more importantly, running a loco that would have been painted green between 1963-69. 

2- if anyone has links to models of Irish-looking 1880s-1900s tank engines, preferably 3D-printed body shells made to fit on RTR chassis, please send me a link.

Thanks, LNERW1

2 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

1- does anyone have a resource that lists allocations of locos including C classes, and, crucially, when they were repainted? I’m trying to find a suitable number for a C class from Silver Fox, so having one that would have worked in the west, specifically ex-MGWR lines or the North Kerry/West Cork would be nice, as well as, more importantly, running a loco that would have been painted green between 1963-69. 

2- if anyone has links to models of Irish-looking 1880s-1900s tank engines, preferably 3D-printed body shells made to fit on RTR chassis, please send me a link.

Thanks, LNERW1

None were green 1963-9; the green livery ended in 1962/3 fir everything.

As far as the C class were concerned, the first ones entered traffic in silver, but the last ones started off green. This was in 1957/8, so by the time the black’n’tan livery appeared, only a few years later, some went from (by now very dirty) solved straight into black.

Thus, green was short-lived on Cs. I doubt if any were still wearing it by the start of 1965.

First ones repainted in 1963 were black’n’tan. Later ones were all black.

No locomotives of any class were green in 1969, or probably any time after maybe late 64.

As for loco numbers, any number could turn up anywhere. No diesels tended to be always in the one place - they were all rotated.

The C class were common in West Cork for its last few years until it closed in 1961. Even though this was only a 3 or 4 year period, Ray Good recorded every member of the class in West Cork at one time or another.

By contrast, they were never all that common on former MGWR lines, and when they did venture that way it was almost always goods. I don’t think they ever regularly worked passenger services anywhere in that area bar the Loughrea branch. They shunted in Galway and Limerick for sure. 

Cs were not to be seen on the North Kerry much either. I am again unaware of any regular use of them on that line at all, though I wouldn’t rule out visits to Foynes. They simply weren’t strong enough for the vicious gradients in North Kerry, combined with the still-heavy goods loadings.

From the mid-1950s, North Kerry (and many Midland services) were monopolised by AEC railcars, so you wouldn’t have got a C on a passenger train there.

If you prefer a green C, the period to model is 1957-63; the good thing here being that within the same period you’ve the crossover from steam too! 

Which brings me to your last question about tank engines. In diesel days, most classes went to most places most of the time (B101, C, D, E & G classes excepted), but steam was different.

For example, even in CIE days, J15s never on the Midland, J18/J19s never down south; and neither on the ex-GNR.

So, to answer your question about which tank engines to look at, the first question is within what area?

Ireland had comparatively fewer tank engines than Britain, but if you’re looking at the MGWR area, the J26 0.6.0T. In North Kerry, not really tank engine country.

Hope this is of help.

• Thanks 1

I remember reading in one of the IRRS Journals (1970-80s!) that a pair of Class were allocated to Ballina as Pilot (shunter) and Branch Passenger loco during the late 50s-early 60s, but likely to have gone by 63 when Limerick-Sligo passenger trains were diverted to Ballina and the Branch Passenger service abolished and Manulla Junction closed as a station.

C Class were also used for Pilot Duty at Sligo and Galway, there is a nice 1960 photo of a (very clean) light green C229 shunting a Horse Box & 4w Post Office van at Sligo in Barry Carse Colourpoint Irish Metrovick book.

Padraig O'Cuimin wrote about C Class presumably Galway or Athlone pilot loco deputising for G611 Class on Loughrea Branch Mixed Train in his book on the Loughrea and Ballinrobe Branch lines.

As JHB said CIE locos were centrally rostered and with the possible exception of the B101 Class (Waterford and Southern Section main-line locos could appear almost anywhere on the system.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Thanks, LNERW1

Re point 2, @Westcorkrailwaymade a very nice little WLWR style tank out of a UK loco, and has been showing some 3D tanks he’s associated with 

Yes we can do a 90 which fits into the old horny terrier chassis

a bandon tank that fits onto a Horby b12 and old terrier chassis (looks ok ish!) 

the Adams radial tank - Irish ish. It would have been even better if I chopped of the outside cylinders. There was a CBSC quote simular to the 4-4-2 I made. Many other of this type had circle windows and other defining features 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

None were green 1963-9; the green livery ended in 1962/3 fir everything.

As far as the C class were concerned, the first ones entered traffic in silver, but the last ones started off green. This was in 1957/8, so by the time the black’n’tan livery appeared, only a few years later, some went from (by now very dirty) solved straight into black.

Thus, green was short-lived on Cs. I doubt if any were still wearing it by the start of 1965.

First ones repainted in 1963 were black’n’tan. Later ones were all black.

No locomotives of any class were green in 1969, or probably any time after maybe late 64.

As for loco numbers, any number could turn up anywhere. No diesels tended to be always in the one place - they were all rotated.

The C class were common in West Cork for its last few years until it closed in 1961. Even though this was only a 3 or 4 year period, Ray Good recorded every member of the class in West Cork at one time or another.

By contrast, they were never all that common on former MGWR lines, and when they did venture that way it was almost always goods. I don’t think they ever regularly worked passenger services anywhere in that area bar the Loughrea branch. They shunted in Galway and Limerick for sure. 

Cs were not to be seen on the North Kerry much either. I am again unaware of any regular use of them on that line at all, though I wouldn’t rule out visits to Foynes. They simply weren’t strong enough for the vicious gradients in North Kerry, combined with the still-heavy goods loadings.

From the mid-1950s, North Kerry (and many Midland services) were monopolised by AEC railcars, so you wouldn’t have got a C on a passenger train there.

If you prefer a green C, the period to model is 1957-63; the good thing here being that within the same period you’ve the crossover from steam too! 

Which brings me to your last question about tank engines. In diesel days, most classes went to most places most of the time (B101, C, D, E & G classes excepted), but steam was different.

For example, even in CIE days, J15s never on the Midland, J18/J19s never down south; and neither on the ex-GNR.

So, to answer your question about which tank engines to look at, the first question is within what area?

Ireland had comparatively fewer tank engines than Britain, but if you’re looking at the MGWR area, the J26 0.6.0T. In North Kerry, not really tank engine country.

Hope this is of help.

You have exposed my woeful ignorance, JHB- thanks again. I do intend to run the C class on goods work, so similar enough to Loughrea.

Re the tank engines, I’ll probably get a Hornby Peckett W4 and B2, 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 saddle tanks respectively, as they are both available in MSC green, which is close enough to CIÉ green until I get around to repainting them. The idea is that they were ordered by the Galway and South Connemara Railway before it was absorbed into the GSR, as the railway stayed independent from the MGWR and so didn’t pick up as much design influence, although I do plan on basing some architectural elements on stations in Galway and the northwest.

• Like 2

Great idea for an independent line. You have a penchant for back stories (many modellers don’t actually take that seriously enough) and such a scenario would allow you to run appropriate stock. Consistency is key. Think what your board of directors’ policy was and why it was adopted. Eg SLNCR found that only 0-6-4T locos gave reliable running so all brand new locos were to that design. The tight curves etc of your line might be the reason that only UK industrials would be suitable for it. Come up with a suitable selection of rolling stock - 4w or 6w coaches, and light wagons, letter them G and SCR and you’re away. Focus on the scenery and buildings to make the layout look suitably Irish. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3