Ardree Quay

Rate this topic

LNERW1

Few of us have enough space for our projects, so compromise and flexibility is usually the key = good ideas! Your modules will be a nice way of experimenting with scenics, regardless of whether they get much use.

Getting a first exhibition invite can be tricky, though mostly it is about finding who runs them locally. Easier this side of the water, where there can be anything up to 30 or more show every weekend throughout the year. Just look at the Events section at the back of any Railway Modeller. We probably have more shows in a month than the whole of Ireland has in a year and another factor in this is as soon as you attend one show,, several invites occur for future ones.

So, talk to the organiser/club running your nearest local show and tell them what you have. They will want to see photos, but also need basic information like layout size, power requirement, lighting, is it self supporting, number of operators and likely expenses. On the latter, always better if it can fit in your car as van hire is expensive. If a show is a long way from home, overnight accommodation is a factor too, for you and/or the organiser.

Once you have invites, plan carefully. I've done well over 100 shows and still don't always get it right. Taking a layout apart, bouncing for miles in the back of the car to a show, reassembling and hoping it will then work is not a gimmie. Practice (ie play trains) at home, so you know there is a good chance it will be reliable, but be prepared for things to go wrong. At the very least a spare controller and spare engines. Organising setting up to minimise time and effort is both a science and an art form! And above all remember that when taking your layout to a show, you are on display to paying customers, who will want their money's worth.

I could go on, but honestly, it is great to see you wanting to get into exhibiting and it can be very rewarding and well worth the effort because you learn something new every time. 

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpg.75dd738f98f47b3f418eec465021adaf.jpg

This lovely product was picked up at Bewdley on the Severn Valley Railway today. As per above advice I will repaint it into CIÉ green. I’ll work out where to get another one, maybe also a brake coach so the boat train looks the same going either way. What’s a good paint to use for CIÉ green, and where could I get suitable, light-green lining? Thanks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

image.thumb.jpg.75dd738f98f47b3f418eec465021adaf.jpg

This lovely product was picked up at Bewdley on the Severn Valley Railway today. As per above advice I will repaint it into CIÉ green. I’ll work out where to get another one, maybe also a brake coach so the boat train looks the same going either way. What’s a good paint to use for CIÉ green, and where could I get suitable, light-green lining? Thanks.

Hi @LNERW1

You can get all you need transfer wise from Railtec Transfers. I have linked various sheets below, search the site and you will find lots more:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1205

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1263

I don't know what shade of paint to use though !

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

I do have a Humbrol paint pen I want to use to paint green over the red of some Hornby Skaledale buildings for the layout. A bit off for carriages maybe but probably good for sun faded paint on a poorly maintained shelter. I might just look in Marks Models for the equivalent paint though as it doesn’t look awful and is on a similar base colour. Not having to prime the coach would be nice and I could say it was red before CIÉ ownership.

1 hour ago, gibbo675 said:

Hi @LNERW1

You can get all you need transfer wise from Railtec Transfers. I have linked various sheets below, search the site and you will find lots more:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1205

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1263

I don't know what shade of paint to use though !

Gibbo.

Hi @LNERW1

I've done some digging and UTA green is quite close to Southern Railway Dark Green although I'm not sure how close that is to CIE Green.

Gibbo.

• Like 1